Author Topic: Marriage 1861-1863  (Read 2663 times)

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Marriage 1861-1863
« on: Wednesday 23 November 05 14:42 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information about my Great Grandparents Mary Morgans and David Thomas. I have found Mary in the 1861 census- she is single and living at Llettynllwynde Farm, Llanybyther, with  her siblings  All are step children of John Davies. His wife is Sarah. Mary Morgans was born about 1831 at Llanybyther and she married David Thomas sometime between the 1861 census and the birth of their first child in about 1863. The only information I have about David Thomas appears on my Grandmothers Elizabeth's birth certificate- Mary (nee Morgans) and David Thomas being the parents of Elizabeth. At that time (1865) they lived at Cerbynau Farm Llanegwad.

I have subsequently searched the !871 census by which time Mary has remarried Stephen Roberts. I am presuming that David died sometime between 1865 and 1871

I have searched all the indexes without success and hope that someone can help me.

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage 1861-1863
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I've had a look for a marriage certificate but there seems to be a large gap between 1859 and 1866 where apparently no Mary Morgans got married, these may be lost, I don't know. You should not always believe what birth certificates say. My Great Grandfather had a father named on his birth certificate, only for me to find that he was illegitimate. Does it say where your grandmother was born? Regards, Kate.
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Dublin - BRADY, GREEN, NEILL & ST LEGER
Kerry - CRIMEEN, CROWLY & DONOGHUE
Longford - FLYNN, WHELAN & DAVIS
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Wicklow - CLARE, COLEY, CRIMEEN, CUNNIAM, DOYLE, FLYNN, MURPHY, O'BYRNE & SUTTON
Devon, Som, Glam & Mon - BISSETT
Gloucs, Glam & Mon - ROBERTS
Here, Brec & Mon - WATKINS
Mon - ISRAEL, LEWIS, MATTHEWS, MORGAN & PROBERT
Salop & Mon - EVANS
Census info is crown copyright www.nationalarchives.co

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your prompt reply Kate.
I think the only way I will get further info is a search of the parish registers either for Llanybyther or Llanegwad.
David Thomas name appears on my Grandmothers wedding certificate too at which time he is deceased so I do think his name is genuine.
Many thanks for your interest
Maureen

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen,

Welcome to Rootschat!

I've gone through the indexes to the marriage records from 1861 to 1863 and there is at least one Mary MORGANS listed in each quarter (as many as 8 in one) and I've checked the entries against those for David THOMAS (of which there are lots) but have not been able to find matching references.

How sure are you on the year of birth of their first child?  Would it be worth searching 1864 & 1865 to see if I can come up with a match?

Regards,

Allan
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I've found a possible match in 1864!

Marriages June Quarter 1864

MORGANS, Mary. Haverfordwest 11a 1111
THOMAS, David. Haverfordwest 11a 1111

Haverfordwest is about 40 miles West of LLangewad but I couldn't find Llanybyther on the map.  Could it have been Llanybydder which is to the North East of Haverfordwest (~40 miles) and North of LLangewad (~30 miles)?

This doesn't mean unfortunately that these two people definitely married each other, only that their marriages are recorded on the same page of the civil register (I think there are two marriages per page for this period).  The only way to find out would be to order a copy of the certificate.  If you ask the GRO to check the reference when ordering the certificate they will refund most of your money if it turns out that these two people did not in fact marry each other.

Regards,

Allan
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan
Thanks for your help.  Llanybyther/Llanybydder are one and the same I think but spelt differently on the census's The place I am looking for is situated near Lampeter. I found the farm Llettynllwynde on the OS map  and that is  about 6 miles SE of Llanybydder in the Brechfa forest.  When Elizabeth my Grandmother was born  Mary and DavidThomas farmed at Cerybynau which is situated near Brechfa. I think their marriage is most likely to be in the districts of Llanegwad or Llanybydder but I must admitt it's like looking for a needle in a haystack! The family continued to farm at Cerybynau after Mary's marriage to her second husband Stephen Roberts and it was subseqiently farmed by their daughter Ellen who married Lewis Daniels that being found in the 1901 census. I am not local to the area so am relying on research via the internet.
Many thanks for your research
Maureen