Author Topic: Licensed Victualler  (Read 5382 times)

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My 6 X Gt Uncle James Brindley
    • View Profile
Licensed Victualler
« on: Saturday 12 March 05 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Quite a few members and off shoots of the family were either Licensed Victualler or just Victuallers.
Does any one know much about this trade.
As i am trying to prepare to go to Northampton records office, and wondered what sort records may exsist on this.
as John Markie was a Victualler between 1780 -1783
James Markie was a Licensed Victualler 1850-1859
Benjamin Chapman Gibson Licensed Victualler  1860-1905
the list continues.
I would assume Licensed would mean they had to apply for one and when did it start and was it the same for the 1780s
regards Ian Markie
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Licensed Victualler
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 March 05 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Check out this thread as well: Where can I find Licensed Victuallers records?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,36438.0.html

and this one: vict. Board & what it means???
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,34965.0.html

There are links to several sites that you can check out

Good luck,
Bob

ps:  if anyone was a licensed victualler, then there must be records at the relevant licensing boards !
Try "victualler licensing board" in Google for more info.
and "victualler licensing board northampton"

"victualler markie" brings up your own contributions / websites and a Markie from Philadelphia Co., PA, USA .
Any emigrants in your family ?
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My 6 X Gt Uncle James Brindley
    • View Profile
Re: Licensed Victualler
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 March 05 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that info,
As for emigrants, yes but not to the usa. my lot went off to New Zealand.
Although i am trying to do All MARKIEs the usa lot are hard to follow, and from what i have found most in the usa are decendents of the Irish MARKEY, or from the Jewish MARKIEWITZ, or Swiss MARKEL and a few MARKIE from Scotland.
my lot i have not got a clue where they came from LOL, as i am stuck in one county in 1760 Northants with no clues to go on except a Victuller! and a Chapman!
Thats why i hope to find something to give me clues.as to where they were born
regards Ian Markie
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford

Offline smuckerooney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Victualler - advice with an occupation
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 05 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,
            William GARDNER of Dover was, in later years, a victualer.  I've looked up the book and saw that it is one who sells 'victuals and food'..would that be in general terms, or would it be better described as an employee of a victualer?

Something tells me that William wasn't in the business of 'merchandising' but I don't think he was able to cope with the rigours of being a 'mariner' anymore because sometime between 1820 and 1822 he changed jobs. So, question time.  Can you recommend any reference book/pamphlet that may be useful to assisting with any info. on William in the licensing trade?

It IS a long shot I know, but thanks anyway.

Rog ;D
REDDICK....Kent - Middlesex - Surrey - Sussex

GARDINER - HAINES -  LAMBKIN - PRICE  WALTER...Kent

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Advice with an occupation
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 05 21:36 BST (UK) »
You basically have three choices:

A victualer as you said was someone who sold food and drink.

The term was also used for someone responsible for stocking vessels before they went to sea.  They would not necessarily be sailing in them.

A licensed victualer basically ran a beer house, pub or off licence.  I am not sure what period you are talking about but in the second half of the 19th century a lot of people ran beer houses from their homes as secondary jobs.  Looking at my ancestors they would be described as beerhouse keepers in one census and licensed victualers in the next.

Beerhouses were encouraged by the government as an answer to the gin palaces of earlier years in order to reduce drunkenness.  The beer that they sold was not very strong by todays standards.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victualler - advice with an occupation
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 October 05 08:31 BST (UK) »
Early directories of the area could be useful.  If he was a victualler in the sense of public house keeper he would be listed with the name of the pub.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 October 05 09:27 BST (UK) »
Don't make too many assumptions about directories.  I can trace about two dozen people amongst my ancestors who were involved in selling alcohol.  Only about half a dozen of these appeared in trade directories and they were the ones who ran established inns or larger pubs.

I would not expect your ancestor to appear in a directory if he was a beerhouse keeper.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kipper

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 October 05 21:18 GMT (UK) »
In 1820's Lambeth Marsh,  John Garden Ross was an oiler and victualer. Mostly he was a grocer. Any ideas for oiler?
BRIDGES,EWBANK,KYNASTON,PAYNE,ROBINSON,ROSS,ROBINSON,SEWELL,TINKER,WELLER,WILLIAMS

Offline smuckerooney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 October 05 21:21 GMT (UK) »
The nearest I have is an 'oilman' he sold oil for lamps.  I got that from a book on 19th ventury jobs

Rog
REDDICK....Kent - Middlesex - Surrey - Sussex

GARDINER - HAINES -  LAMBKIN - PRICE  WALTER...Kent