Author Topic: Frederick George Morgan in Wales????  (Read 4766 times)

Offline gsbm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Frederick George Morgan in Wales????
« on: Saturday 04 September 04 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am new to this forum and I live in Australia.
I have a Frederick George Morgan living and marrying in 1889 in Melbourne Australia stating that he was born in Wales, but  he does not state where in Wales. He says that his father is Frederick George Morgan and his mother is Isabella Morgan (nee Crellin or Crellino) and was born circa 1852. I cannot find him on the 1881 British census so I am assuming that he left Britain before that date. I wondered if anyone else was researching this family or if anyone has any Wales census indexes that thet could check out for me. I know this is a lot to ask but any help at all would be very welcome.
Thank you
gsbm

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick George Morgan in Wales????
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 September 04 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm in Australia too, it's tough searching from this side of the world isn't it  :) I have the Glamorgan censuses on  Cd  and ran a search through the 41, 51, and 61 for Isabella Morgan ( and her maiden name, but returned no results that matched her) , as that "Isabella" Christian name   is the more unusual to search on,and should be the easier one  to find  among your Morgan family. I didn't search the 71 because the discs I have  are  not searchable by names of people on that one.
The only Isabella Morgan in the 51 census is a servant c1828 , and she is  unmarried ( so if she was a  crellin , that can not be her)

There are no Fred's , or Frederick Morgan's ( or Morgans)  in the 51 either that I found that match up .

There are two   Frederick's ( searching for fred the father )  who are married ( the rest are unmarried and most are  too young)  in the 61 census, none of them that I can see  match up to yours, none have a son called Frederick Morgan, and none are married to an Isabella
  The same goes for the mother Isabella  crellin, or crellino etc ( or by her married name  Morgan), I used a soundex search ,and found  nothing that looks to match your Isabella.

so, I'd guess that they did not come from Glamorgan, as I found nothing in those censuses which look like a match for your family.

It may also be worth searching for "George Morgan" besides "Frederick George Morgan" in the 1881 LDS ( just in case  the father Frederick senior  or junior are listed by a  middle name on a census. What I have found with some of my family when the son has  exactly the same name as the  father in the house, the son tends to be listed by his middle name on some of the censuses)

Hope that is of some help , perhaps someone with the other counties of Wales could look for you at them , and maybe  even double check the Glamorgan censuses, just in case I have missed something with my search in the Glamorgan censuses of 41, 51 and 61.

P.S.  I'm assuming it was Frederick junior who was born  around 1852, or did you mean his  mother was born in 1852?  There are no Isabella Morgan's ( or crellin sounding names) that I found in Glamorgan in the censuses anyway, only one was a  maid which I mentioned above. 1861 there was a child of a morgan family with the name Isabella..so that can't be her either, nothing that looks like  the surname crellin either
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline gsbm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick George Morgan in Wales????
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello There,
I am so sorry that I am only just replying but it is quite a while since I have checked the site. I checked today and found your reply and I must thank you so very much for your help. You must think me awfully rude, I must apologise again. Thank you again for your very kind help,
Cheers
gsbm