Author Topic: A Happy but sad find  (Read 4464 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: A Happy but sad find
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 November 05 10:37 GMT (UK) »
P.S.  From what I can see, the photos you've posted look to be from the 1860s or 70s.  To get a better date, I'd need to see the writing on the front, and whatever is on the back (if anything).  I can give you a handy tip for getting the photos out of the album pages, if you want to know how to do it without damaging the pages  :)
Prue

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 November 05 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Prue

I'm afraid I can't help with the writing though, the album is not in my possession, it belongs to a relative and she, rightly so, guards it with her life.  I managed to get copies of the photos, but I don't think she would agree to remove them from the album no matter what I said.  Can it be done without doing that?  I will post them on the link you supplied and hope for th best.  Nothing ventured!

Cheers for all your help, if you get time please check them out as I value your expertise, even if it is only an educated guess, I am going to be better off than I am now.

Thanks

Lones
Momentsandmemoriesdpr.com.au
Digital Photographic Restoration

Smith, Warwick Shire
Ashwell, Buckminster Leicester
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Dunstan, Stithians Corwall
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Penman, Midlothian, Perth or Fife
Dick, Fife
Ruddock, Staindrop Durham
Willis, Ingleton Durham
Gibbon, Kirkby Ravensworth
Lazenby, Middleton Yorkshire
Bradley, London
Ware, London

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 November 05 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lones,
Hmm!  How do you know the photos don't have any names on the back - has the owner had the pictures out to take a look?
If you use very clean, dry hands, you can slide the pictures up in their frames a little bit, just to read the writing on teh bottom edge.  At least that should give you a location, and the photographer's name will sometimes help with dating, as will the style of printing.

To slide the pictures, ensure your hands are very clean and totally dry.  No hand cream, either!  :)  Lay the album flat, put your first two fingers onto a photograph, and putting a TINY bit of pressure on it, push down as you slide it up in its frame.  That should enable you to move it just the half-centimeter or so that you need to be able to see the writing. 

Maybe you can give these instructions to your relative?  She must want to know who these people are.

Looking forward to seeing more pics on the other board!

Prue

Offline Lones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad & Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 November 05 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Prue

I will talk to her, I'm pretty sure she said there was no writing on the backs, but I assume she meant, names as in family names.  I don't know if she looked for photographer details or that kind of thing.  Would that be useful?  I am not in the same location as the photos but will contact her with your advice and see if she can give any further details re writing etc.  I have posted two of the photos, is that all you can put on one message?  There only appeared to be two fields for attachments, and when I tried to type in the address on the actual message, it all went pear shaped and I didn't get anything? 

Thanks for all your knowledgeable tips Prue, I really appreciate your time

Cheers

Lones
Momentsandmemoriesdpr.com.au
Digital Photographic Restoration

Smith, Warwick Shire
Ashwell, Buckminster Leicester
Brown, Kent
OBrien/Brien, Cork
Dunstan, Stithians Corwall
Beard, Stithians Corwall
Penman, Midlothian, Perth or Fife