Author Topic: Ancient pronunciation and derivation of names  (Read 734 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ancient pronunciation and derivation of names
« on: Thursday 24 November 05 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I am currently reading Bill Bryson's book 'Made in America'. In addition to writing his travel books, Bryson is into writing scholarly works. It goes into how the early emigrants to the USA took their language with them and thus modern US English is closer to 17th Century English than the version spoken here. It also goes into a number of pronuciations that prevailed in those days, clearly showing in consequence how some very 'odd' pronunciations of surnames have come about. In addition to being very informative, it is well written and highly readable.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient pronunciation and derivation of names
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 November 05 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,
             Have you also tried `Mother Tongue` by Bill Bryson. He  writes in there about US English being closer to 17th century English than that which we speak today, as well as looking at the American ways of spelling. He has had a long term interest in linguistics and its a very entertaining read.
          Regards   Linmey
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient pronunciation and derivation of names
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 November 05 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I've read that one too, but I don't recall any mention in that book of (for instance) 17th century homonyms that make no sense to the modern ear. It was largely because of things like that which might help make sense of people trying to follow derivations of surnames etc. that I thought it worth posting on this board,

As clearly this thread will make no sense without some quoted extracts, here goes with a few points that I thought might interest folk.

Was would rhyme with pass, Father with gather, ream with realm, shoot and suit, Easter with Hester, sea with say.

Anyway, it is a very long book and I do not pretend to have the ability to write with the wit of Bryson, so would suggest people interested in the reasons we talk the way we do should read either Mother Tongue or Made in America, or preferably both.

Bryson makes the point that the reason some US wildlife has a different name to the same species found in Europe was down to the incompetence of the early settlers and their inability to distinguish them. Thus an American rabbit is actually a hare.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell