Author Topic: Millars Place, Birkenhead  (Read 1512 times)

Offline hazelnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Millars Place, Birkenhead
« on: Thursday 24 November 05 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where Millars Place is in Birkenhead please?  My great grandparents lived there and I believe my grandmother Lucy Price was born there c. 1883/4, although I cannot race her birth certificate. Any information would be very helpful

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Millars Place, Birkenhead
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 November 05 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Well its presumably not there now, since a streetmap search doesn't find it, so if you would like to tell us their names ages etc, and which census you found them at that address, maybe piece and folio number, it might be easier to trace the location that way.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline hazelnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 05 15:31 GMT (UK) »
The record of the family was emailed to me. It comes from the 1901 Census ( PRO National Archives) No. of Schedule 163. Address 8 Millars Place, Birkenhead.

The family are as follows:-

William Price - Head Aged 26, Engine Fitter's Labourer (Ship Yard)
Isabella Price, his wife, aged 24
John, Son, aged 6
James, Son, aged 4
William, Son, aged 3
Lucy, Daughter, aged 8 months (my Grandmother).

According to other information I have received, there is debate regarding Lucy's year of birth. It could have been 1888, or earlier. I do not have any record of the other members of the family's date of births which I would like so that I can follow the ancestry line through. I was adopted so information is very scanty.

I do hope someone can help me.

Many thanks.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 November 05 16:03 GMT (UK) »
The area is in the Ecclesiastical Parish of St John, Argyle Ward, County Borough of Birkenhad, much of which probably won't mean a lot to you.  Although the actual street and other smaller ones don't seem to still be there, they are in the area of Grange Road.  So if you go to www.streetmap.co.uk and put in Grange Road, when it gives you a list choose the CH41 and you will see the area.

If an enumerator has taken an age down as particularly as 8 months, then it's likely to be near enough right, since it's probably the family who are being so specific with their answer.

There is a birth of Lucy Price, September qtr 1900 Birkenhead 8a 510

Hope this helps
Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 November 05 16:14 GMT (UK) »
There is another Lucy Price in Birkenhead, living Beckwith Street age 18, the daughter of Ellen. 

If you really have no information about your grandparents, are you working backward with certificates for your mother's birth (it will give her mother's maiden name), and her parents marriage etc. rather than taking a guess.

If you aren't able to search the indexes at a local Record Office or LDS Centre, (I think you might find your mother's birth too recent to be certain that it would be transcribed on one of the free online sites) so you might want to take a look at www.1837online.com which has all the indexes, although it is a pay site.

Good luck
Mary

Offline lubbie

• I am sorry but my emails have stopped working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 November 05 19:46 GMT (UK) »
hi just a bit of useless info my g grandfather (ellis)  lived at no 1 millars place and his inlaws (keoghs) lived at no 9 in the 1901 census. my grandfather george ellis was born there in 1906.
lubbie.

ps if you go to the streetmap as suggested millars place was  where the car park behind grange road is for the shopping centre and bus stop is there now hope this helps
lubbie