Author Topic: Duffus Free Church 1862 Rev Corbet  (Read 3748 times)

Offline IAA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Duffus Free Church 1862 Rev Corbet
« on: Thursday 24 November 05 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Anyone know where I might find the Church records for Duffus.  I am looking for the baptism of my Great Grandfather in 1862.

Thanks
MacKay (Harris, Western Isles), Royan, Dunbar, Kelly (mainly Morayshire)

Offline HeathersLaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Duffus Free Church 1862 Rev Corbet
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 05 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried this site http:/libindx.moray.gov.uk

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 January 06 21:45 GMT (UK) »
hi when you find where they are could you please let me know, don't know if they are in elgin library, failing that it will probably be in edinburgh

moira
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 January 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I am not aware of them being in Elgin Library, and I cannot find them in the online catalogue at www.nas.gov.uk so they may not have survived.

It may be of interest that a chunk of about 20 years' worth of the Duffus Church of Scotland parish register was left out when the LDS indexed it for the IGI. However this is in the 1820s/1830s/1840s so not much help with 1862.

HTH

Forfarian
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline IAA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 06 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, it is much appreciated.  If I do eventually find out I will post on this group.

Irene
MacKay (Harris, Western Isles), Royan, Dunbar, Kelly (mainly Morayshire)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene,

Did you ever find out the whereabouts of the Duffus Parish records c1820.  I am in search of a William Anderson, who as per Census records, says that his was born in Duffus 1820.

A descendent of this person will be on her way from Aus in 2 weeks to look for his baptism records, so it would be good if I could point her in the right direction.

If these records are missing, has anyone else a suggestion? We know that William Anderson married Jessie/Janet McPherson, registered in both Forres & Elgin - 27 Nov 1840.

Keith Aus
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline Rab.C

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this forum and this info may already be known to you. I have just returned from Moray where I       researched the 1680 - 1880 parish records for my family who were from the Duffus Rathven area. These records are held at East End School, Institution Road, Elgin at the Heritage Centre. Access is free and photocopying is available. The census etc took me so far, but I had to physically search the old parish records. they are not available on file on the net..yet.
Hope this helps.
Rab.C

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 12:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rab. for your reply.

Do you have to make appointments or can Dianne just turn up and search the Duffus baptism records 1819-20?

Keith Aus

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
Do you have to make appointments or can Dianne just turn up and search the Duffus baptism records 1819-20?
No appointment necessary. Just turn up.

Did you ever find out the whereabouts of the Duffus Parish records c1820.
There was never any doubt or question about the whereabouts of the pre-1855 Duffus Parish Records. The original records are held in Register House in Edinburgh, and the Local Heritage Centre in Elgin has microfilm copies. What is, or was, missing was that for some reason the Duffus baptisms from 1820 to 1854 were missed out of the IGI when the LDS indexed the rest of the register.

The question which remains unanswered is the whereabouts of the records, if any, of the Free[/b] Kirk in Elgin or Duffus or surrounding area.

William Anderson married Jessie/Janet McPherson, registered in both Forres & Elgin - 27 Nov 1840
There was no 'registration' of marriages before the start of civil registration in 1855. What happened in 1840 was that a record was made by the church of the calling of banns in both Forres and Elgin. This would be because one of the couple resided in Elgin and the other in Forres, so the banns had to be called in both parish kirks.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.