Author Topic: Schoolteacher / School Mistress in 1851  (Read 1415 times)

Offline fargo61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Schoolteacher / School Mistress in 1851
« on: Friday 25 November 05 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I have found out from the 1851 Census that my Great Great Grand Mother Mary Ann Clay was a (13 year old) School Teacher in 1851.  Mary Ann was living with her Grandparents in Langley at that time, and her Grandmother Hannah Clay (nee Prime) was a (65 year old) School Mistress.

I would be grateful if anyone would suggest if it is likely that there would be any sought of record of either any training that either of them may have had, or of their employment...and if so how I might be able to locate it.

Thankyou, and best wishes,

Geoffrey.
Keed - Middlesex; Cordle - Middlesex; Moore - Surrey; Clay - Isle of Ely; Litton - Devon; Gorring / Gorringe - Surrey / Sussex; Johnston / Johnstone - Cumberland; White - Kent; Castle - Kent; Sherbird - Middlesex; Hanger - Middlesex; Jackson - Middlesex; Twohey - New Zealand; Strain - Armagh

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Schoolteacher / School Mistress in 1851
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 05 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Until the 1870 Education Act all schools were more or less independent.  Training was usually on-the-job.  If you can establish what school(s) they taught in you might be able to find records in the county archives.  There were lots of "dame schools", run by one woman, usually, hence the name, and it's unlikely that any records would exist of these.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 05 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have had young school teachers - about 14.

Also a music teacher of about the same age

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 November 05 14:32 GMT (UK) »
The Sutton Bonington Local History Society have produced some great little booklets on the history of the village. to quote from one of them "Remembering Sutton Boninton"

Mrs Pawley was assisted by one or more pupil teachers or monitors. These were bright girls, usually from the village, who served an apprenticeship of several years duration by helping with the children and learning to teach by example. They sat examinations at the end of their apprenticeship and if successful became certificated teachers. Julia Whitby helped Mrs Pawley for a number of years and was presented with a marble clock when she left in 1891. After Mrs Pawley's retirement in 1903 another village girl and former pupil teacher, Alice Lee, took over the headship of the little school. In 1905 Miss Millicent Vickerstaff was chosen by the headmaster of the National School as the most suitable girl to go as monitress to the Endowed Infants School when she was only 12 years old. She recalled: "I was there for three years, and was paid five shillings a week. I attended then part-time at Long Eaton Pupil Teachers' Centre and came back as an assistant teacher. I stayed until I retired at 62 years of age.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 05 09:44 GMT (UK) »
My g-grandmother was a pupil teacher in London in 1861, aged 18.  However, she married and left for Australia before the 1871 census.

I think this system must have continued for some time.  My mother always said she trained as a pupil teacher in Australia in the late 1920s, although I think she had some sort of elementary training at a teachers' college in Brisbane.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 November 05 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Australia could be somewhat different to England - but my Grandmother went to Teachers College in 1910 - a 12 months course - she graduated age 16 & was sent to a 1 teacher school in the middle of nowhere! This was, I think, almost the first time such formal training took place in Australia. Prior to this  was the pupil teacher system.

There was, however, another type of teacher in the country - called subsidised teacher. My father started as this - age 17. (1935) Where there was no school, a group of parents got together, provided a schoolhouse and lodgings for the teacher and then the Govt would pay the wages of the teacher. According to my Dad, the payment depended on the number of children, so you always marked the roll and always encouraged the children to attend.  ;D  ;D  He had no formal training - went along and watched a few other teachers and was given a program to follow for each age group.

When phasing out this option, most subsidised teachers were offered a place at teachers college & that was where my dad ended up in 1937.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fargo61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 05 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bob; Marie; Trish; 'Sutton Trust' and 'Suttonrog', thankyou all for your replies.  It seems that there is at least a small chance that some sought of record or mention may exist, so I will track down the  local History Society and hope for the best.

Best wishes,

Geoffrey
Keed - Middlesex; Cordle - Middlesex; Moore - Surrey; Clay - Isle of Ely; Litton - Devon; Gorring / Gorringe - Surrey / Sussex; Johnston / Johnstone - Cumberland; White - Kent; Castle - Kent; Sherbird - Middlesex; Hanger - Middlesex; Jackson - Middlesex; Twohey - New Zealand; Strain - Armagh

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 November 05 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoffrey

Forgive me, I didn't properly read your query. Certainly, in Australia we have records for teachers back at that time. Each of our states have separate records. One of my ancestors who arrived in Oz in 1852, taught until 1900 - and a copy of his record, including qualifications (which were from Scotland) I found at the Queensland archives - presumably some type of similar records would be available in UK (perhaps from the Counties?)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 December 05 00:48 GMT (UK) »
pupil teachers where the norm around that date, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.