Author Topic: I'm going to the LMA...  (Read 2732 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I'm going to the LMA...
« on: Friday 25 November 05 15:23 GMT (UK) »
December 10th, they have a Saturday opening, so I'm going down to London.  I'm happy to do some lookups for people.  :)

You can search their catalogue to see what they have here:
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/corporation/family-research/registerSearchForm.asp

For extra bonus points, include the microfilm number of the records you want searching.  I'll edit this post when I stop taking requests (time being limited, and all).

Priority will be given to those looking for things like workhouse records, orphans, illegitimate children, etc, as some of those records are difficult to get hold of outside of London.  Please give as much info as possible.

I will not do the parish record lookups unless you have both the exact parish and the exact date of the event.   Exception: people with illegitimates if they can give me a birth-date and work out which parish they were living in from the address on the birth certificate, I'll give it a go if I have time.

I'll be chasing Stantons and Bonners for myself; wish me luck!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going to the LMA...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 05 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi jorose,

What a wonderful offer!

I'd be very grateful if you can find anything out about my grandmother's baptism from this document:

LONDON BOROUGH OF LAMBETH, 1896 Dec - 1901 Feb    Call No/Microfilm No: X096/333    
SAINT PHILIP, LAMBETH, KENNINGTON ROAD, LAMBETH
Register of baptisms, including baptisms at Lambeth Workhouse and Infirmary

Her name was Mary NORFIELD, born 3 November 1900 at Lambeth Workhouse, Renfrew Road.  (Surname sometimes spelled NORTHFIELD.)  She was illegitimate - her mother was Emma NORFIELD, charwoman, father unknown.

All the information I have comes from her birth certificate.  Although she was born before 1901 she and her mother have proved impossible for me to find in the census of that year.  (They are not in the workhouse on the night of the census.)  And I've never seen her mother in any earlier census either!  So I'm desperate for anything that a baptism record might show.  I guess any baptism would be dated November or December 1900, but to be honest, I don't know for sure that any record will exist - sorry if this turns into a wild goose chase for you.

I live 200 miles from London and rarely get a chance to visit there nowadays, so your help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 05 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your generous offer.

As I am in Canada, access is a huge problem.

If you have time, I would love to get some info on the following, which I have posted in order of priority to me:

(1)  Magistrate's Court records for Westminster.  (The LMA site says they have these.)  Wednesday, Oct. 08, 1884. 
William and Hans LEOPOLD appeared before Magistrate Sheil on a charge of smuggling tobacco and cigars from Hanover to Victoria Station.  I know they were convicted, I know their address in London, their age, how they were caught, and their sentence.  What I would ideally like is (a) copies of whatever documents exist in relation to this conviction - would be happy to reimburse for costs etc., or to receive a digital photo by email.  If that is not possible, I would like to know (b) if any reference was made to any other family members, in particular to their uncle.  I know that they claimed, in their defense, that these items were procured for their uncle.  I would dearly love to know the uncle's name - this would remove an enormous brick wall for me.  (c)  I would like to know whether there was any specific information about where they had come from in Hanover - did they give an address in Hanover?   This too could be hugely important.  (d) Is there any physical description of them?  photo/fingerprints/verbal etc - I know this is unlikely, but I really don't know what they have.  (e)  I would like to know if they paid the fine or served the sentence in jail, but I don't know where one looks for that information. 

(2)  Freeman & Co., gown manufacturers, 44 Berners St., W1.  I know they were in business in 1929.  I will see what else I can find out (before Dec.10) as to other dates when they were known to be in business. 
I would like to know (a) the name of the owner/s of the business.  I believe the owner was a Frank FREEMAN.  I would like to know any particulars about the owners, such as home address, age, partnerships, anything that would help me identify them elsewhere.  (b) I am also on the lookout for a woman with forename Connie or Bertha and surname Francis, Frances, or Leopold  (this is all one person), who may have been involved with, or part owner, of this business.  (c)  any bankruptcy proceedings?

(3)  Frances Ltd., costume manufacturers,  55 Tottenham Crt Rd., W1.  This one, too, was in business in 1929.  I need the same info as above.  If the owner of the business is not Connie/Bertha  Francis/Frances/Leopold, then I do not need any more info, but would like to have confirmation that it is not her.

If this is all too complicated, I understand.  Your time is precious.  I hope you have a rewarding visit.

Thanks again for offering.

Loo

ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 November 05 18:34 GMT (UK) »

What a kind offer  :D  could you check a marriage for me please

Thomas Ingram to Ann Bradwin - 2nd January 1774 St Alphage Greenwich - any extra info would be great but most importantly is it there??

This information was given to a fellow researcher in Australia some years ago in a list of births marriages and deaths and we have not been able to verify it.

Many thanks, will understand if time does not allow.

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 05 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Stovepipe: No problem, I should also be able to see if Emma came into the Workhouse right before she had her baby, often women just came when they were in labour and left as soon as possible.

loo: I can check directories for you, but the London gazette online has a bit of information about one of your companies already:
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk

I searched for 44 Berner (this catches 44 Berner Street and 44 Berner St.), found hits on 1 April 1930 (Louis Freeman, of 365 Romford Road, chairman, named to be Liquidator, as the company could not continue its business).

The Times, Monday, Apr 27, 1931; pg. 4; Issue 45807; col F
- Madame Frances Ltd, in Lord Chancellors Court, Chancery Division. (not sure if the LMA would hold records of these, but I could take a look).

I'll take my digicam, I'm fairly sure they don't mind you doing that, else I'll just take photocopies and we can work something else out later - where are you in Canada?  (My mother's side of the family is all Canadian, :))

suey: There probably won't be much more info but I'll give it a look.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 02:04 GMT (UK) »
You are already brilliant, Jorose!  I had checked that site a while ago and had not found what you found.

I will have to check it myself and get back to you as to whether this looks like the same Freeman's.  Mine is Berners with an "S" on the end, W1.  There are other streets with similar names in London, so I wonder if the one you found is the same one.  It would seem strange if the liquidator would have the same surname as the proprietor, or maybe I just don't understand these things.

I'm in Toronto.

I was at the library today trying to find out more, but no luck.  I have a few more things to try though.

I will get back to you before Dec.10.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline RosieJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi jorose

Think you must be an early xmas angel!  ;)

If you have time please could you look up my grandmother's baptism:

LONDON BOROUGH OF WESTMINSTER 1916 Jun - 1927 Jun X095/742 
SAINT MARK, MARYLEBONE ROAD, MARYLEBONE ROAD, WESTMINSTER
Register of baptisms at Queen Charlotte's Hospital

Her name was Dorothy SHAMBROOK and she was born on 01/07/1919. She was illegitimate and her mother was Mabel Ann SHAMBROOK (sometimes spelt with an 'e' on the end). Mabel was born in Hereford.

I would be absolutely over the moon if you could find this. I think it must be fate that I found this post, as my grandma died 10 years ago this month.

Best wishes

Rowena
Shambrook - Devon, Monmouthshire, Herefordshire
Le Vesconte - Jersey, Monmouthshire, Bristol
Shults - London, Surrey, Essex, Middlesex
Clark - London, Surrey, Middlesex
Neasmith - London, Surrey, Middlesex
Sheppard - Dorset

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mlrfn448

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Can you please look up the following parish register for me.

Eltham - Saint John the Baptist  X014/138

Marriage 8 May 1816
Thomas Rolls & Jemima West

Baptism 4 Apr 1816
Thomas Rolls West son of Thomas Rolls and Jemima West.

They married out of their normal area, presumably due to the fact that their child was born before their marriage.
The above details come from the IGI, so any information on their originating parish, witnesses and for the baptism, was he baptised as West or Rolls West, would be very useful.

However, the LMA website says transcript, so I do know what exactly that means.

Thanks in advance

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 23:57 GMT (UK) »
 Jerose, I'm probably too late for your kind offer, but if not, is there a chance you could look at Camberwell workhouse records. Four of my Grandfathers sibling's died there in J. F. M. Qtr 1891. The name's were Brash, all children ages 2-7. Thomas, Constance, Ivy,& May. Just maybe the parents are in there too,  They were Thomas Brash, (Schoolmaster,) wife, Catherine  I'd be eternally grateful if you could unearth this for me . Regards Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.