Author Topic: Puzzled!  (Read 2944 times)

Offline meehan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Puzzled!
« on: Friday 25 November 05 20:36 GMT (UK) »
My dear old g,father RICHARD WALSH I feel is running rings around me. I spent years trying to trace him. Then over in Ireland i find the 1901 census form for himself and his family.  On it he states that he was born in Tipperary. He has down, his wife Anne Brien, Daughter Mary1, Daughter Maria2. I have all the details of my Gran, Anne and the children, so far so good! I searched many places including the the record offices in Dublin for his birth, to no avail.
Then one day i am at our local Mormon church reading the reels of films i sent away for and finely,i come across the 1911 census sheet for my G.father Richard Walsh. Most of the details are almost the same as 1901, except now he says, he was born in Galway! Has anyone heard of a Richard Walsh, out there who hails from Galway! born sometime in the1860s, maybe nearer 1863. I would love to hear from you!

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzled!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 November 05 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Maybe not much help to you, but in the 1901 census my g-grandfather says he was born in co.Limerick; in the 1911 census he says co.Tipperary. (In this particular case, the two relevant townlands for the family are adjacent, one in co.Lim, one across the river in  co.Tipp. and the so the discrepancy can be explained - although still seems strange to change the county of one's birth....)

In my case, the 1901 info is the true info. Although ages given in the 1911 appear to be nearer the mark compared to the 1901!

In another instance, a child living with the family was described as 'daughter' which for a while threw a spanner in the works. It transpired she was the 'granddaughter' which did make more sense.

So you can't always believe everything you see in the census.

Maybe your grandfather was born in co.Galway but lived in co.Tipp at the time of the first census?

Good luck!

Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline meehan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 05 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear Mags. Thank you for your prompt reply.
I have been looking for this g-father for over ten years. I found the 1901 census for the family many years ago, though at that time, i didn't know that it is best to buy the other two forms of the census, as well. They contain the address of where they lived.

I had a very talkative uncle who never stopped talking about his life in Ireland. At that time, i wasn't interested in family tree's and  as i got a bit older i thought maybe i should write what he and my mother said down. So i now have transcripts of their lives that contain address's, yet no dates of any kind

I shall now concentrate on Galway. I shall find him! Pauline

Offline meehan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 05 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear Mags.
This is a reply to your second message. I had just finished typing a reply to your second message, when it vanished off the page before i could save it.
I have been using the Mormon Church for years and I am at present looking through the marriage reels for Dublin.

Anne Brien and Richard Walsh, both lived in Dublin before they met there. Anne didn't have much family left in Arklow,Co Wicklow after her mother died. I checked! 

I have lots of marriage codes i got from the Mormon church, for both Richard and Anne. None of the codes match. How do i know which one is them? 

I don't have any date of birth, marriage  or death records for Richard, at all. I only know he had a sister Marya who lived in Dublin too. She was a furrier. His Mother (no name for her) worked selling fish in the streets of Dublin. Now i shall try Galway. and see what i can find.
Thank You Mags, for your reply. Pauline.

Offline GeneBug2006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 06 06:15 GMT (UK) »
I have really run into a brick wall, with the parent's of my great great grandmother Mary Ann Ghent/Jent, Mary ann was the mother of my Great Grandmother Catherine Martindale, Mary Ann was born in Liverpool, Lancashire, England abt 1863, to Martin Jentes and  ??, who i would like to find out about,
Hedley Durham/Northumberland

Heller - London

Martin - London

Young - Scotland/England

Freethy - Cornwall

Pannell - Sussex   

Pemberton - Lancashire  

Martindale - Lancashire/Westmorland/Cumberland

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 06 10:47 GMT (UK) »
I have really run into a brick wall, with the parent's of my great great grandmother Mary Ann Ghent/Jent, Mary ann was the mother of my Great Grandmother Catherine Martindale, Mary Ann was born in Liverpool, Lancashire, England abt 1863, to Martin Jentes and  ??, who i would like to find out about,

Hi geneBug
It might have been better to start a new thread with this one so meehan's query doesn't get sidetracked too much ;)
Anyway, do you have the 1871 census details? They give the mother's first name as Mary, also born Ireland. Family is listed as Gent on Ancestry. Let me know if you want the details.
Edward and Catherine's births seem to be on FBMD as Gent as well so you could try buying one of those (specify the parents's names to be sure you have the right family) and in theory that will give you Mary's maiden name.
I can't seem to find them in the 1861 census even though the eldest son Thomas is 11 in 1871 and born Liverpool so they should be there.
Hope this is some help. :)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeneBug2006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 06 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I don't have anything more, except, of what information i gave you on the Jentes/Ghent Family, So yes please i would like to have the information you found, it would really help, all i know is that Mary Ann Ghent's mother and father were both born in Ireland, only i have no idea where, or what city, town, etc they were born in, i am not even sure what year they were born, all i have been told is that Martin's maternal grandmother was Barbara grueter b:1724 in trub, bern, switzerland d: april 28,1747, even with this information, i really don't have much to go on with, sorry.

Heller - London

Martin - London

Young - Scotland/England

Freethy - Cornwall

Pannell - Sussex   

Pemberton - Lancashire  

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 January 06 12:34 GMT (UK) »
here you are - though it doesn't help much.

Liverpool,Dale Street

Martin Gent,head,m,40,dk lab,Ireland
Mary Gent,wife,m,30,nil,Ireland
Thomas Gent,son,u,11,scholar,Liverpool
Mary Ann Gent,dau,u,9,scholar,Liverpool
Edward gent,son,u,7,scholar,Liverpool
Catherine Gent,dau,u,4,scholar,Liverpool
Margaret Gent,dau,6wks,Liverpool

RG10/3770-54

The address seems to be Primrose Hill as in 1881.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeneBug2006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 06 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Could you tell me what Dk, Lab, & Nil, Ireland stand for, so i can try searching for information on Family search, I also don't know where i could order the Marriage Certificate for Mary Ann Gent's parent's, but something tell's me that Mary's Maiden name may have been grueter, or with the information which i received from a lady may not be the information i'm looking for.

Heller - London

Martin - London

Young - Scotland/England

Freethy - Cornwall

Pannell - Sussex   

Pemberton - Lancashire