Author Topic: Puzzled!  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzled!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 06 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Could you tell me what Dk, Lab, & Nil, Ireland stand for, so i can try searching for information on Family search, I also don't know where i could order the Marriage Certificate for Mary Ann Gent's parent's, but something tell's me that Mary's Maiden name may have been grueter, or with the information which i received from a lady may not be the information i'm looking for.

Sorry that wasn't clear.
Dk lab is the occupation for Martin so I should think it is dock labourer (as it is in 1881). His birth place is Ireland.
Mary's occupation is nil, and birth place Ireland.
Like I said it doesn't help much  >:(

FBMD (http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl) has the following

Edward Gent,birth Sep qtr 1864 Liverpool
Catherine Gent,birth Dec qtr 1866 Liverpool
Margaret Gent, birth Mar qtr 1871  Liverpool

and those seem to be very likely to be the children named in the census so if you order one of those certificates then it should give you the mother's maiden name.
Alternatively you could post the details on the Lancashire board and see if anyone can make an educated guess at the church from the census address, and then look to see if there is a baptism for Margaret round about the time the census was taken (she is 6 wks old). Would they be Catholic? That would probably narrow down the number of churches, even in Liverpool.
There is a death on FBMD
Martin Gent, death aged 45, Mar qtr 1886, Liverpool.
I would think that likely to be Martin and would put his birth around 1841 which agrees with the 1881 census (41 years old).
The 1871 census has 40 for his age though so I wouldn't pin too much on that.

I tried to find the family in 1861 with no success. I searched for all the names/spellings that I could think of and also looked at the entries for Primrose Hill in case it was there.
Possibly they married in Ireland and may even have had Thomas there no matter what the 1871 census says.

Best to try and get Mary's maiden name and take it from there I think.
Good luck.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk