Author Topic: HULLAND brothers from deepest Devon who became London Sheriff's Officers. How?  (Read 580 times)

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
I feel I must bring this query to a wider audience than a London Look-up Request that has been a veritable hive of activity today.
Have had much help today tracking down two individuals in London in the 1851 Census, William HULLAND aged 74, and Richard HULLAND my gt-gt-gt-grandfather, aged 55.  Both became Sheriff's Officers.
However, imagining them to be possibly father and son, I found them on the IGI Batch Number 7132012, as BROTHERS, part of a generation of 8 children born to William HULLAND and Elizabeth CLARKE between 1776 and 1795 in Kings Nympton in Devon.
Now, it seems as though everybody else stayed put in deepest Devon - brother Samuel was farming with 70 acres in the 1851 Census - but how did these two end up in the Capital, both as Sheriff's Officers for Middlesex...?
Would military experience have been useful, i.e. could recruitment for the Napoleonic Wars have resulted in a career in the army, and then a peacetime job as a Sheriff's Officer.
Would it have been normal for two brothers to have been employed in a (high profile?) role such as this.  Might the older one, William, have been able to put in a good word for his kid brother Richard?
Has anybody got any thoughts on this matter...?
Very best wishes,
keith