Author Topic: Marriage Look-up - John AYLING - Houghton  (Read 3317 times)

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Marriage Look-up - John AYLING - Houghton
« on: Saturday 26 November 05 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Could someone have a look for a marriage between a

John AYLING and a Frances or Fanny in the Houghton/Amberley area - son William born abt 1825

also ..

John AYLING to a Sarah, same area, son John born abt 1840 (I think  they married before Civil Reg in 1837 as I can't see them on FreeBMD)

Thanks  :)
Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
London: Le Franc, Watson, Read<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Look-up - John AYLING - Houghton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 05 10:32 GMT (UK) »

From SMI -

John Ayling bach to Frances Daughtree sp - marriage at Storrington 8th February 1823.

Storrington is 4 miles from Amberley  :)

I can only see one John to a Sarah but that was in Rogate 1817  :(

and the only one in Houghton was
John Ayling bach to Jane Collis - 4th July 1800

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 05 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks as ever Suey  :)

The first marriage is perfect. The other one, John to a Sarah, doesn't seem likely to be either of the two you've listed. Perhaps it was after 1837, but doesn't show up on FreeBMD yet.

I was just curious on the second pair as I happened to find a marriage in 1869 in North Norwich, Oxford Co. Canada of a John Ayling, cordwainer b. 1840/41 in Houghton, SSX. Parents listed as John and Sarah Ayling. I wondered if he was part of the Ayling family one of my Cunningham's married in to.

Thanks again
Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
London: Le Franc, Watson, Read<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 05 17:37 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome I'm pleased I can help

I'd say there was a good chance they were related in some way having come from such a small place like Houghton, unless there is another Houghton somewhere in Sussex  ??? 
The library wanted their copy of Sussex Place Names back so I can't check lol...

There are still a couple of Ayling families in Houghton and Amberley listed in the local phone book

Suey

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline SJ_Booker

• My emails are not working at the moment sorry.
  • RootsChat Member
  • OK Adam&Eve...Me...it's the bit in between I need!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 00:08 GMT (UK) »
hi

may be a blind stab in the dark, but i'll try anyway.......how far back have you traced the ayling's in sussex....i have links to ayling's in selham, sussex  and coldwaltham, sussex .....and would love to know if they link in somehow!!

Thomas AYLING b.1712 selham, sussex
m. 18/2/1734 farnsworth, sussex
Jane SOWTER b.1716 selham, sussex

child: Jane AYLING b.9/7/1738 selham, sussex

xSJx
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

AYLING, BLACKBOROW, BOOKER, BOWLEY, BRIDGER, CLEAR, COULTON, CUTLER, DAVIES, DUVAL, FLAMBARD, GARDNER, GOVER, GRAY, JONES, LUDGATE, MILLYARD, OLIVER, SOWTER, TOUZEL......AND MANY MORE

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 November 16 03:25 GMT (UK) »
"Aylings of Houghton Family Tree" on ancestry.com here: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/105130887/family.

William (1825-1905) married Sarah Cunningham. Yes, some of their descendants still live and own land in Houghton.

Thomas Ayling & Jane Souter are on my tree "Wyndham Ayling (1875-1959) of Lodsworth Family Tree"  here: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/103558972/settings/info.

Extensive research into the AYLING surname here: http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.ayling/mb.ashx, including transcriptions of many parishes for AYLING. If anyone has specific questions about any Aylings in Hampshire or West Sussex in particular, I would be happy to answer.

Chris Ayling