Author Topic: Two names on bapt record  (Read 932 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Two names on bapt record
« on: Saturday 04 September 04 15:55 BST (UK) »
I have found a baptism record where the son has two surnames names:  Thomas Tyson or Porter.   Parents are Thomas Porter and Bridget Tyson. The date is in 1780 in  Spilsby , Lincolnshire.

I find the son later married with the surname Tyson.  Could it be he was illegitamate and they did not know what name to use?  Then he took his mother's name?  I am a bit confused.

- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

madbadrob

Re: Two names on bapt record
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 September 04 16:11 BST (UK) »
Kristen,
It seems to me reading that you could be looking at an illigitimate child where the father was known and an illigitimacy order was made prior to birth.  The second could be an illigitimately conceived child and the mother before birth married a second guy.  Alternatively you are looking at a legitimate child whose father died before his birth and the mother decided to give the child her surname  although I doubt it.
You have two steps to prove this.  One look for a marriage of these two people or other children and what they are baptised as.  The second is maybe a trawl through the bastardy records which can usually be found in the county records office. 
Rob

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 September 04 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice.  There seems to be a lot of illegitamate children in my tree in the UK for this line.  I cannot find a marriage between the two persons later in time or other children.

I will look into the bastardry records! Thanks- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

madbadrob

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 September 04 23:58 BST (UK) »
Kristen,

Dont worry about it too much other than to satisfy yourself.  If you look at my names down below you will see NEWBOLD and WHETTON.  The only reason I have that listed there is because the Conenction between them was a number of children.  Some 40 years the couple lived together but they never married.  Half the kids used her name ( that which they were given at birth) the other half used the NEWBOLD name.  Makes for fun searching

rob