Author Topic: *** RootsChat in the Public Eye ***  (Read 31106 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: *** RootsChat in the Public Eye ***
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 January 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Although Rootschat isn't mentioned by name, a lovely little story involving local school children http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,508789.0.html

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 January 11 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi casalguidi,

Thank you for that lovely story, at least some children are learning some real history.  I couldn't not believe it when my daughter told me that my granddaughters are learning about the 60's!  I was surprised to say the least.

When I was at school we started with the Stone Age, then worked though learning the lot!  I am teaching them myself they love it.  When they come over they always ask,  Grandma can we look at some history please?

I am lucky enough to have a book called, 'The story of the British People in Pictures'. All the famous paintings in that.  We are skimming though it,  leaving out the savage bits until they are older.

How will they understand the Family History if they are stuck in the 60's  ???  The rest of British History is not on the curriculum it seems.

Rabbit B  :)

Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 04 February 11 16:20 GMT (UK) »

The diligent efforts of Rootschatters to pursue the adventures of Nathaniel Bryceson across several threads is acknowledged:

Nathaniel Bryceson’s diary – The Life & Loves of a Victorian Clerk - comes to an end today, 12 December 2010, with the last entry for the year. It is a sad day. Nathaniel’s adventures have struck a chord with readers all over the world, and none more so than an intrepid group of history-lovers on the Rootschat website. These international fans have indefatigably chased up the people, places and events that Nathaniel mentions in his daily updates.

Blog entry here: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bo6/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline PaulaToo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 07 February 11 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Just put the story of my ancestor Eliza Ann on a site called history in Portsmouth.
Gave RootsChat a mention
http://www.history.inportsmouth.co.uk/people/eliza-ann-smith.htm
You're worth every bit of publicity you can get.
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline Rabbit B

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 07 February 11 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Good for you Paula,

Excellent story too if I may say so.  Well done.

Rabbit B  ;D
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 April 11 19:56 BST (UK) »
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 September 11 20:13 BST (UK) »
I'm going to have my readers story in the Oct or Nov issue of WDYTYA Magazine, so of course I gave Rootschat a good mention.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline PaulaToo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 00:13 GMT (UK) »
I think by this time nearly everyone knows that I have written a book roughly, very roughly, based on the life and times of dear sweet Eliza Ann, the great grandmother.

Well, let's face it, without the help of the RootsChat and the BBC FT Messageboard I could never have done it.
The help I had sorting out the twists and turns in that woman's life has been a one off event.
I gave RoostChat a plug in the dedication, let's face it, that was the least I could do.

' For all those wonderful people on RootsChat and the BBC Family Trees Messageboard who have waited so patiently and for so long, in particular mm who did not give in, even when entangled in a Webb of intrigues.
With grateful thanks
Paula'

Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 03 December 12 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I too recommend this site to everyone I speak to who mentions family history and even though I don't post all that often I read everything that goes on in this site - well most everything :) and after while you get used to the people on this site and it makes it seem as if they were friends (even if we never meet)
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.