Author Topic: My webpage has been "cribbed" onto WorldConnect  (Read 3585 times)

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
  • What good is information if not shared with others
    • View Profile
My webpage has been "cribbed" onto WorldConnect
« on: Monday 28 November 05 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Found this recently on WorldConnect in relation to my Gt gt Gt Grandparents,
John BERRY & Tansley RUST:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=janbotkin&id=I20657

My webpage:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/BERRY/tansley&john.html

I know census info is not copyright, [by me] etc, but this person doesn't have the family bible pages - I have them; I'm the one pondering over where my gt gt gt grandmother is buried, not this person.  >:(   I am not best pleased at what's happened, but do appreciate once your information is out there on the web, it's public property.

Have left a Post-em note on the WorldConnect page about my webpage being
used without prior consultation & permission from myself.

Any ideas, anyone?

Regards,  Ann

CAWTHORN, SCOTT & DeSilva PALMER from Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk [and beyond]
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/genealogy/

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: My webpage has been "cribbed" onto WorldConnect
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 05 15:06 GMT (UK) »
That's naughty. It may be on the web-but it is your copyright and shouldn't be plagiarised.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 05 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted My Family.com and asked that the offending site be removed?
This is their view on the matter -

"Content which has been contributed to public areas of the MyFamily.com, Inc. sites by users remain the property of the submitter or the original creator and we are a licensed distributor of such content. Occasionally, a person may feel that content submitted by a user is their property or is covered by the copyright of someone other than the submitter. Please remember that we are the distributor of user supplied content and the submitter, not MyFamily.com, Inc., is the one who has violated copyright if such a violation has occurred. However, we will respond to substantiated claims of violation. In such a case, the person who believes they have a claim under copyright should send a claim of copyright violation to:

David P. Farnsworth
Copyright Agent for Notice
MyFamily.com, Inc.
360 W 4800 N
Provo, UT 84604
USA

or

Email copyright@myfamilyinc.com

All the following must be included:

Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to be infringed, and the basis of the claim
Identification of the material which is claimed to be infringing, including the URL
Full contact information on the claimed copyright owner or other claimant (who must have a license which is being infringed or other standing to make the claim) including name, address, telephone, fax and email information
A statement, under penalty of perjury, that the information sent is accurate and the complaining party is the owner or an authorized agent of the owner
A physical or electronic signature of the claiming party "

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 05 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,

That is theft, pure and simple  >:(

Have left a Post-em note on the WorldConnect page about my webpage being
used without prior consultation & permission from myself.

I noticed that such notices can be deleted, so how about e-mailing WorldConnect direct and explaining what has happened.
There is a disclaimer from them about the contents of GEDCOMS, but that doesn't/shouldn't cover your case. They must have some concerns and responsibilities for the contents of their pages.

Bob

Update:  while I was typing this, Guy spelled it out !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 05 15:57 GMT (UK) »
They have been quite clever here. At the bottom of the page it shows the source as being Tratchel_2004 FTW dated Nov 22 2004 yet at the top shows page updated on 28 Nov 2005 unless it refers to your post it note..

I would say it looks like this person has discovered your web site and copied the whole lot onto theirs.

Personally it it had been me, I would have been busting a gut to get in touch with you to confirm your family was connected to my family. Cannot understand why they haven't.  Also I would have thought it polite to ask you first before putting it onto their site.

Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 05 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Guy - many thanks for your advice - will follow that up.

jean - the 28 November update applies to my PostEm note - which I amended earlier today in line with my original posting here  ;D

Regards,  Ann

CAWTHORN, SCOTT & DeSilva PALMER from Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk [and beyond]

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 November 05 16:25 GMT (UK) »
It seems the culprit is Jan Botkin Therkildsen as the posting comes from him. It seems that it is he who should be asked to remove it. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 November 05 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I do not advocate violence of any sort - but this person deserves a slap >:(  Grr!!

If you need back up Ann - just let me know - I'm normally very shy and retiring ( ;D ??? :o ;D), but I can get quite fierce when provoked - just ask my children :o ;D

Seriously, I can imagine that you are well and truly miffed, and rightly so...and I bet if he had asked nicely you probably wouldn't have minded him using some of the actual info - but to pinch your thoughts and observations and even ponderings - just not on!

Well that's what I think anyway

Regards
Julie :(
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Have just a reply from Jan Botkin Therkildsen about this little problem and he states:

"  I downloaded what I thought was a very small file of just a few TRATCHELs, and got someone entire TRATCHEL file -- this page is noted as one that came from there.  I don't even know these people ............"

He is removing the offending page forthwith.

Now to find out who the TRATCHEL compiler is!

Regards,  Ann.