Author Topic: Shiels  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Shiels
« on: Monday 28 November 05 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Is 'Shiels' a place or the name of a district?  I have it on an 1832 baptismal record for Garvock where my gx2 grandfather is 'the lawful son of James Murray Shiels and Jane Christie.'

Thanks

Jim Murray

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shiels
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 05 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Having a guess here ;D   I would say Shiels was probably the place of residence/work of James Murray.  I think Garvock is in Kincardineshire not far from Laurencekirk. 

Try using the maps at undernoted websites and zoom in on the area.  You might find something. 

Regards, 
Dorothy

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/index.html

ps.  meant to say residence/place of work as in farm, estate, etc.!!!!!

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy,

Yes, thank you, I am sure you are right that it is a farm estate.  Certainly James Murray was a ploughman or cattleman in his time.

One ancient map lists Shiels, although I can only detect Cairn of Shiels whilst another one (coincidentally produced in 1832 the year in question) intriguingly shows 'Hospital Shiells'!

Thank you.

Jim Murray

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Did a quick search on "Old Maps" website and came up with a place called The Shiels, Laurencekirk, Kincardine. 

If you go to the website Old Maps
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.htm
Type in:   Sheills
Then:       click address
Then:       click on The Shiels, Laurencekirk
You will get an old map of the area.  I found the best way to view it was to click on "modern map" at the bottom.  This should bring up Upperton and The Shiels.  The Shiels looks like it is a farm.

Hope I am not confusing you here ;D   Might just be what you are looking for - with a bit of luck!

Regards, 
Dorothy

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorothy,

That was very nice of you to go the extra mile.  I put in some more time myself and was delighted to discover Shiels both on the old maps website and also on the Scottish Library site which provided the very useful 1928 OS county map.

Now for the next question!  I find for so many of my ancestors who worked on the land - and this James Murray is a typical example, sometimes described as a ploughman or a cattleman - moved around an awful lot.  The distances were quite short but they seem to be always on the move.

Were they always being given their notice; were they improving their pay each time; was it because they needed larger accommodation as their families grew; were the landowners very fickle and would never offer long-term employment??   Do you know the answer please?

Cheers
Jim Murray

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

I am no expert on that!  At a guess, (something I am very good at ;D), I would say there was no long term employment in agriculture.  It still is very "seasonal"  in Scotland. 

Try ElectricScotland website, you might find information on that.  It's a very informative and interesting site. 

Glad you found Shiels. 

Regards,
Dorothy

www.electricscotland.com

Offline Jim Murray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 December 05 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Dorothy - I will have a look at that site.

best wishes
Jim