Author Topic: "The mark X..." on marriage cert  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
"The mark X..." on marriage cert
« on: Tuesday 29 November 05 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.

This has probably been asked a thousand times before, but I'd be grateful to know the answer...

The marriage cert for my GGG-Grandmother's second marriage arrived yesterday. Next to "This marriage was solemnized between us," is

William Hagon
The mark X of Mary Ann McGregor

Does this mean that she literally placed an X in the register, i.e. she couldn't write? Or does it have another meaning? It's the same for one of the witnesses.

Thanks,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "The mark X..." on marriage cert
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 08:39 GMT (UK) »
You are right Karen

The person concerned either couldn't write or chose not to display their poor attempt in front of the (educated) vicar.  I was alarmed by the number of my relatives who fall into this category: despite presumably receiving some education.  I suppose they had more important skills to master and not much call for practising writing of any kind.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 12:58 GMT (UK) »
I have also heard/read that some women in particular used X as their mark even if they could write in order not to appear too clever in front of their new husband.

As for birth registrations, it has been suggested that if the new mother trailed off to the registrar, she would invariably have baby with her, if not toddler too.  So she had her hands full and just putting X with your hands full is a a heck of a lot easier than juggling with squirming baby!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if it is universal, but every time I have seen a mark made, it has always been in the form ... John X Smith. I wondered if there was any significance to that.

I'm grateful for the stories of people who chose to make a mark. I have always wondered why my g grandmother made her mark in 1880 when she married when her sister, who was a witness, signed the register albeit in what we would nowadays consider a rather childish hand. I just assumed that meant she did not write, but perhaps she could and didn't. Her husband signed his name though. Most curious.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I have an example of a second marriage where the bride and groom signed with an X but the grooms daughter from his first marriage signed her name. I imagined this to have been because of improvements in education and this may have been the case, but now I realise there may have been other reasons.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

This is very typical of many entries I have seen in marriage registers.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the info.

I noticed on the cert that Mary placed an "X", but her husband signed.

I am assuming that the 2 witnesses were a married couple as they had the same surname. The husband placed a cross but the wife signed. Maybe she was more emancipated...!   :)

I have now ordered Mary's marriage cert for her first marriage. I'm looking forward to seeing if she signed or X'd...!

Karen

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 21:04 GMT (UK) »
The funny thing is - it makes you wonder how an X after your name came to symbolise a kiss?

??? ;D ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)