Author Topic: "The mark X..." on marriage cert  (Read 4470 times)

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "The mark X..." on marriage cert
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I've only seen this once - but thought it was charming.  Everyone on the wedding certificate signed their own name, but you could see that for the female witness, someone had written her name in pencil and she had carefully copied her name in ink over the top.  She must have SO wanted not to be the only one making a mark.

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 December 05 09:14 GMT (UK) »
What a good idea!

I hope it was a fairly old certificate...!

Heard on BFBS radio today that lots of kids in England can hardly read when they go from primary to secondary school(!), so the authorities are introducing a teaching system that is based on phonetics. We had something similar when I was a kid - "ITA". There were a number of extra "letters", e.g. for the "oo" and "ee" sounds. I hated it! I was a bit on the bright side as a kid (don't know what went wrong) and I could already read when I started school. ITA confused the hell out of me. But if it really is true that 10/11-year-olds can't read, then something MUST be done... :(

Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 December 05 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

The more enlightened schools are already using "synthetic phonics" together with other methods to teach according to pupils individual learning needs.  There always were and always will be children who struggle with reading.

Remember that children these days leave primary school knowing more physics, algebra and poetry-forms than I encountered in the whole of my secondary education!  We had to learn them at teacher training college in order to teach the children!  I am sure they had not even invented haikus when I was at primary - but any self-respecting 9 year old can produce one at the drop of a hat.  The timetable is absolutely crammed with things that have to be inserted into their little heads.  For some children, this doesn't give the time and the individual attention they sorely need to learn to read fluently.

Another factor is how the school chooses to spend its budget.  Some invest heavily in support staff to help those children who need it, others chose to spend it on shiny new equipment to impress prospective parents (you have to keep the numbers up in order to attract funding!)  It is a complicated issue.

Don't believe everything you read!!

In my opinion, you were very unlucky to encounter the ITA - many children's spelling never recovered.

End of today's lesson  ;D ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 December 05 09:36 GMT (UK) »
In my opinion, you were very unlucky to encounter the ITA - many children's spelling never recovered.

Hi Arranroots

I was lucky enough to have wonderful teachers who realised that ITA wasn't my cup of tea - I was then given other things to read.  :)

I look back very fondly at my time at Prince Avenue Infants & Junior School - all the teachers were just lovely. Also, my parents spent a lot of time teaching me, too. I suspect this is something that a lot of kids don't experience these days, unfortunately.

My spelling is normally fine - the only problem is, after 15 years of Germany, I sometimes have to think really hard about the spelling of English words!  ???

Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 December 05 15:14 GMT (UK) »
My brother was subjected to ITA in the 60s, luckily I escaped by 3 years.  Fortunately my brother was bright enough to make the transition to normal reading and spelling but a lot didnt manage it. I dont remember my parents being consulted or informed of this experiment, it just happened. Cant see that being the case now.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 December 05 00:42 GMT (UK) »
my gggmother signed her name with an x which is a bit strange as her occupation is given as school mistress!!! make what you will of that,                                                                                            kali, x.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 December 05 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Well, that just goes to show that there must have been other reasons than not being able to write which is what several postings in this thread have suggested.
     I was a bit suprised that my ggg grandfather had signed with a cross but his brother who was a witness had signed his name. It may have been simply that he had learned to write and his brother hadnt but I now know it could have been for another reason. Thanks for that Kali. Very interesting.
          Regards  Linmey.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I've just received the cert for Mary's first marriage. On this one, she also placed an "X".

Now I know that James' dad was "Captain in the army". No idea which army, so that gives me something else to look for, should I get bored... ;D

Mary and James were both living in Islington at the time of the marriage, so no clues as to the name of her birthtown in Cornwall, which I can't read on the 1851 census entry...  :'(

Karen

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Of course it might be the case that whoever oversaw the signing of the register assumed that the wife couldn't write and just told her to mark an 'x'.  Would the woman have contradicted the vicar and told him she could sign her name, or quietly made an 'x' instead! ;D

Helen
Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk