Author Topic: Duplicated records in original FreeBMD index  (Read 774 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Duplicated records in original FreeBMD index
« on: Tuesday 29 November 05 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm transcribing the FreeBMD index (along with a host of others of course) and have noticed from time to time that in the index from which I am entering the records (which is a typed sheet), there are duplicated records. By this I don't mean the same name, district volume and page number, but very similar names with the rest of the details being identical. An example might be Smith Harry, followed by Smith Henry.

These duplicated entries have obviously been put there deliberately by somebody, but I wondered if anyone could tell me how and why they got there? I'm assuming that in all cases that I have seen that the two entries refer to the same person, but perhaps that is an assumption too far. As transcribing means entering whatever you see on the page in the first place, that bit is easy, but it has got me thinking and that can be painful.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicated records in original FreeBMD index
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 20:48 GMT (UK) »
By the time the entries get to freebmd they have already been transcribed three times plenty of opportunity for such duplication to creep in, or one entry to be mixed up with the next.

I have been recently been doing some work with the books which result from the first transcription and such duplications exist in them.  Fortunately I can mark them as "to be checked against the original registers" but the basic rule is if its there twice transcribe it twice.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Nick, I've been transcribing for some time and come across lots of instances of what you're talking about.  I assume that whoever compiled the printed lists for the GRO from the returns of the districts, couldn't read the handwriting of the registrar and so put down all the possible variations.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline angi0

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 23:16 GMT (UK) »
hi I agree about the handwriting as a transcriber in fact doing a page tonight from the 1865 marriages I had the entry Frances dian followed by francess diana so think it was possible that they could not read it and as last post said put in all the possibles

angie
Riley- Lancashire Blackburn
Regan
Birtwistle - Lancashire back to 1160
Kilkenny - County May0
Nuttall -Lancashire
Smethurst Lancashire
Sparnon- Cornwall and Dalton in Furness
Whiteside dalton in furness
crossley lancashire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm doing 1896 marriages and just after posting this question came across Solomon Stokloff followed by Solomon Stokoloff. I presume that each registrar sent for details of every marriage from every church in their jurisdiction and compiled their own index before having it sent to a central location. Seems pretty logical when you think about it, but I'd never thought about the mechanics until now.

Is it just me or does everyone find the most exotic names in Mile End?
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell