Author Topic: Richards(farmers) Llanllawddog  (Read 3472 times)

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Richards(farmers) Llanllawddog
« on: Wednesday 30 November 05 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone researching this family prior to 1841. My Great Great grandparents were John Richards and Jane Davies both in their 50's at the time of the 1841 census. They were farmers and the family lived at Llwyn Sarnau Farm  near Peniel until the 1890's. Many of my ancestors are buried in the grounds of Peniel chapel. John and Jane had at least three children Elizabeth, William and David .

William my great grandfather married Margaret Davies whose family lived at Dannycerrig farm, Llanpumsaint.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Offline johnmorriss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richards(farmers) Llanllawddog
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 07 15:57 BST (UK) »
hello iam researching richards llanlawdog are you still active on this site regards john

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 07 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi John

So pleased that someone else is researching the Richards family!! Let me have some details of the people  you are looking for and I will try to help.

Maureen

Offline johnmorriss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 June 07 16:28 BST (UK) »
HI i have the 1841 cd carmarthenshire and the llanegwad parish records cd .if you would like it .
Now iam just retired but have been researching for 6 years ,pauline james a proprioter of the carm f history soc website is a good friend and helped me lots.
Just as a matter of interest i have a little story on the llanegwad website about mother,
My kin on dads side were parents WELSH and IRISH and his grandparents IRISH,Merthyr tydfil dfad was born 1912.married IVY HUGHES from MERTHYR TYDFIL
on her fathers side theres his mothers mother RACHEL RICHARDSfrom llanegwad 1820 her parents were THOMAS RICHARDS LLANEGWAD married 1818 to ANNE RICHARDS llanlawdog they both were 21 when married i got a copy off the parish records in carm .i havnt yet established who ANNES parents were when she was born 1897 .ok

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 June 07 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

The only Ann Richards I have found was b1819 at Llanllawddog. She was the daughter of David and Anne. Most of my Richards family seemed to be associated with Peniel chapel. I haven't been able to find out much prior to 1841 although I have found out a little from BT's covering Llanllawddog Parish. There does seem to be quite a lot of Richards from the Llanegwad area but so far I haven't been able to make a connection. I am sure you are aware that sometimes in documents the surname was Richard so it's worth bearing that in mind.

There does not seem to be a huge amount of Richards in this area so we could well find a connection somewhere along the line.

Were your Richards family farmers and were they non conformists?

Many thanks for your offers of Llanegwad CD and Carms. 1841 census. I have the Llanegwad CD and I belong to Carms FHS so presume that the same 1841 census details appear there.

I appreciate your contacting me and will let you know if I make any further progress.
Happy hunting!
Maureen

Offline johnmorriss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 07 18:38 BST (UK) »
my Richards was a filler ,i believe associated with the iron foundry they married in the parish church in llanlawdog.please keep me in mind, as i of you take care

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 07 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Yes - will let you know if I find out more
I have collected these when visiting the graveyards in Carms. Who knows they may link with some of your Richards

Peniel Chapel Graveyard

Elizabeth wife of Thomas Richards, Bwlchbychan, 1873 age 73
Thomas  1879 aged 84.
 Martha (daughter) 19yrs
Mary (daughter) 1888 aged 58

Llanllawdog Parish Church
David Richards Ffynnoniago May 27th 1900 aged 72
Eleanor April 4th 1902 aged 70
Margaret Richards daughter Dec 1867 aged 18
Jane April 21st 1870 3 months?

Margaret wife of David Richards Aug 2nd 1860 60 yrs
Trebwl, Llanpumpsaint
Margaret daughter of Margaret and David Richards Trebwl, LPst 25th Sept 1851 27 mnths?

I live in Lancashire and only manage a visit to Carms. now and again. There is only so much 'grave hunting' I can expose my husband to, but will look out for more of the Richards clan when I go again

In the meantime I will keep looking!

Keep in touch,
Best wishes,
Maureen

Offline johnmorriss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 08:04 BST (UK) »
THANKYOU MAUREEN my lot went to MERTHYR TYDFIL very early so to connect to the 1700s would be very difficult.but miracles do happen.take care