Author Topic: Cadmans between 1861 and 1871  (Read 5210 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
Cadmans between 1861 and 1871
« on: Sunday 05 September 04 23:45 BST (UK) »
The problem with my Cadmans is that they came to Canada and returned to England between censuses in both countries.

Initially I had the information form an Aunt that my great grandfather William Cadman born 7 March 1856 nearly drowned in the St. Lawrence River in Canada but I did not understand how, what, when, where or why.  I had no other information.

Then out of the blue last weekend I had the following E-Mail from a friend:

“Recorded these- on closing time - so I did not mange to complete the list - From the PRs Bulkington

"The following persons left Bulkington for Canada May 20th 1863

Anne CADMAN (Widow)

John CADMAN & Lucy , his Wife,

with Emma, William, Sarah & Joseph Jewis  their children.

William HARRIS & Sarah , his Wife with their Children, Mary Anne & Joseph,

also

Benjamin BICKNELL & Anne , his Wife with Thomas, Sarah & Eliza their children

HAMMERSLEY sailed for Quebec July 16th 1863

William PEGG & Mary Ann LUCKMAN sailed for Quebec August 1863-----------“

-----------

- at this point was   thrown into  the carpark - film has since been returned- sorry.

Hope it helps some-one

Wendy”

The Cadman’s in the list by just chance where three generations of my Cadman family.

I just could not believe it!!!

Ann was my third great grandmother born 1798 born Bulkington (handloom ribbon weaver)

John was my second great grandfather born 1834 born Bulkington (handloom ribbon weaver) (With Lucy my second great grandmother)

William by great grandfather born 1856 born Bulkington  (with is brother and sisters)

By 1869 they had returned to Bulkington in Warwickshire when they had a further child born.

As this was between censuses is there any way that I can find more about there time in Canada and also perhaps when they returned to the UK.

If anyone can help it would be really appreciated. 

Details form the 1871 census – all back in UK

Coventry Lane, Bulkington.
John Cadman 36 Silk Weaver
Lucy                36  "         "
Emma              16  "         "
William            15   "         "
Sarah              11    Scholar
Joseph             9           "
George H          2
All born in Bulkington

With George H born on their return.

Also 1871 Census living in Ryton Village, Bulkington Ann Cadman 73 Formerly a Silk Weaver born Bulkington - Widow John aboves mother

The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cadmans between 1861 and 1871
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 00:44 BST (UK) »
You might try Automatedgenealogy.com
It does 1901, 1911 (&1906 for prairies)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
This looks a very useful source - Many thanks vbain.

However, I am looking at the period between 1861 & 1871 and I do not think that it covers this period.

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
William Harris m. Sarah Cadman in 1859 in Bulkington, shown on the 1861 with a daughter Mary Ann, and I think these might also be the ones who went to Canada.
http://www.familysearch.org/ shows Mary Anne's christening with a death date listed as 19 August 1865 - if you could see the original to see what info is mentioned there that might clear up a few things.

Without knowing where in Canada they went or how long they stayed, and with them not being on any censuses, it'll be hard to find much about them. I think the Bulkington parish records will be your best bet for figuring out when they returned. - e.g. is the Lucy Cadman b. and d. 1865 on freebmd a daughter of theirs?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 15:56 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting jorose, did not pick that up before. They could not have stayed very long in Canada. Lucy is Mother's name so could be a possibility. Many thanks, Andy

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 May 10 12:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry WRONG Lucy Cadman her parents are Thomas Cadman and Lucy Cadman (Formally Parker). She was born in Ryton

Interesting - I can find no reference to them after.

Possibly this Thomas Cadman (father henry) was born in Bulkington abt 1846.  I can find no trace of him or his wife after 1865.

Did they emigrate to Canada and not return unlike my John and Lucy?

Information from Birth Certificate:
Born 10th July 1865, Lucy, father: Thomas Mother: Lucy formally Parker Ribbon Weaver. Birth reported by Ann Cadman, Occupier Ryton on 15th August 1865.

Any Ideas who this Thomas and Lucy are? Can anyone find them on a census after 1865? I may have got the wrong Thomas & Lucy.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 May 10 23:38 BST (UK) »

Hi Andy,

The National Library and  Archives of Canada has all of the censuses sin the 1851/2 federal census. Some of these are searchable while others you will need to fo thru them by page. The website address is: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/search-recherche/anc.php?Language=eng. I believe there is a Provincial Archive in Quebec as well.

Another avenue you may want to check out are the local newspapers, including Montreal and Quebec City for a report of the accident. The best bet I think are the public libraries' newspaper archives.

Hope that helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 May 10 09:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your response JDC.

The period I am looking into is between 1861 and before 1871. From what has been discussed the family may have been back in England by around 1865.

Therefore, the 1851/2 census would not be of much use to me, but may be a useful source to others.

Andy

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 May 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

The 1861, 71 & 81 etc federal censuses are there as well. Again, hope this helps.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England