Author Topic: Help needed to solve this mystery!!  (Read 809 times)

Offline BobtheBee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help needed to solve this mystery!!
« on: Wednesday 30 November 05 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to discover who the ancestor was who attended my Gt Grandmothers death in 1927.

My Gt Grandmother, Jane Davison nee Carr was born in 1849 at Kilmorack, Inverness, and married an Englishman John Thomas Davison born in Crook Co. Durham in 1853. He died in 1886 after producing 2 sons, Alexander Francis Davison, & Thomas William Davison.

The eldest Alexander, my Grandfather moved to London from Glasgow in 1914, my Gt Grandmother and he went to live at 11, Kidderminster Rd in Croydon. When my Grandfather married his scottish sweetheart in 1916, they moved to accommodation in Woodgreen, where my father was born in 1918.

An address in Woodgreen was given as the address of his mother by my Gt Uncle on his Canadian call up papers in 1917.

The family moved to Eastbourne in about 1920, when my Grandfather was contracted TB, & my Gt Grandmother moved with them, and although she is buried in Eastbourne with her son, she actually died while visiting people in Croydon.

My Gt Grandmother died on Oct 29th, 1927 at 11, Kidderminster Road, and her death was reported by her niece E.M. Teague. Also on the electoral register at that address were E. Gardener, Albert R Teague.

Elizabeth Mary Teague married Albert Roy Teague on Dec 1st 1923, aged 29,  and her father John Samuel Gardener (electoral register) was living at 11, Kidderminster Rd in Croydon in 1914, and also appears in the Kelly's Directory for 1915.

Witnesses at the wedding of Elizabeth Gardener were Elizabeth Gardener, her mother & J. S. Gardener a mechanical engineer.

J.S. Gardener died in the 1st Qtr of 1926 aged 69.

I'm unable to find any of the Gardener family in the 1901 census, or a birth record for John Samuel Gardener or Elizabeth Mary Gardener, but may have a siting in 1891 on the FreeCEN site, where a John Gardener 33, born Gateshead, a Steam Engine Maker (Em'ee), wife Elizabeth 35, born Gateshead, and several children 9,7,5,3, 10mths.

My Gt Grandfather John Thomas Davison had a sister Elizabeth Scott Davison who I thought John Gardeners wife may be, but she was born as far as I can tell in 1864. She was 6 in the 1871, born at Shildon, and lodging with the Sanderson family in 1881 age 16 at Shildon.

So where were the Gardeners in 1901, and how was Elizabeth M Teague a niece of my Gt Grandmothers.

Any help would be appreciated, and solving this mystery.

Bob.
Scotland - Blaikie, Carr, Jamieson, Alexander, Chisholm
Nottinghamshire - Smith, Gabb, Simpson, Dyer
Gloucestershire - Gabb, Davies
Norfolk - Nelson
Northumberland/Durham - Davison, Scott
Wales - Shaw
USA - Pratt
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline BobtheBee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to solve this mystery!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It's amazing how reviewing the evidence makes you look again at things from a different viewpoint.

Looking at the 1891 census result for Elizabeth Gardener gives an age that to fit in, is almost 10 years out.

Is this a transcription error ? Maybe someone with access to the originals can tell me.

Anyway, I decided that I would look for Elizabeth's death after 1927, and found her death in Croydon, in the 3rd Qtr of 1933 aged 69, confirming (if it is the same person) that the census was wrong, and she was my Gt Gt Aunt Elizabeth (maybe?).

Bob.
Norfolk - Nelson
Wales - Shaw
USA - Pratt

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

Here is 1891 census  RG12/4175  folio 82  page 26

197 Askew Rd. West, Gateshead

John Gardener  Head  M  33  Steam Engine Maker   Scotland
Elizabeth Gardener  Wife  M  35  Durham Gateshead
William Gardener  son  9  Scholar  Durham Gateshead
John Gardener  son  7  Scholar  Durham Gateshead
Robert Gardener  son  5  Durham Gateshead
Jane Gardener  daur  3  Durham Gateshead
David Gardener  son  10 mths  Durham Gateshead

Looks as if age 35 is correct, unless she lied about her age  ::)

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline BobtheBee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've only expired credits left on Scotlands People, but I searched for the Gardener family in 1901, and found one record for each person, including Elizabeth Gardener in the range 34 to 36 (I think), but as I said I've no credits, and can't afford to blow £6 at the moment.

So I think the family moved to Scotland for a few years, and if Elizabeth was the sister of John Thomas Davison, as I think at the moment, this relationship could have influenced the move.

They certainly seemed to have continued the friendship later when both families moved to London.

Bob.
Norfolk - Nelson
Wales - Shaw
USA - Pratt