Author Topic: Handwriting on certificates...  (Read 717 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Handwriting on certificates...
« on: Thursday 01 December 05 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Just a little question about certificates.

I always assumed that certificates were written by a registrar then signed (or X'd) by the bride/groom/witnesses/mother of child etc so there would be different handwriting on the page.

All the certificates I have (originals and photocopies of originals) all seem to have just one persons handwriting including the signatures on marriage certs.  I can see no variation in the handwriting at all.  I was always really excited about having a 'part' of my ancestors, ie their signatures but having looked more closely at the writing I'm now not sure....
Maybe I'm reading to much into this, I would assume that the same pen would have been used by all, maybe thats why the writing all looks so similar.

Thanks for any thoughts you have
Love
Legs
xxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline PB_Bear

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Handwriting on certificates...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 05 17:26 GMT (UK) »

The only way to see certificates in the participants' own hand would be to look at the PARISH records.

Everything else is a manuscript copy of what was done at the local registry office. Registry offices do not (usually) take fascimile (sp?) copies of the original when you order.

PB
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 05 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Legs

This is still the case.  The copy I was given of our marriage certificate was completely written by the Registrar, including the signatures of my husband, myself & our witnesses.  The original with the original signatures is in the BIG book that the registrars keep.

SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 December 05 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both,

You can tell that I've not married yet can't you!!

Thanks again
Love
Legs
xxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams