Author Topic: WARNING - I don't mean to tell you to suck eggs  (Read 2982 times)

Offline angi0

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WARNING - I don't mean to tell you to suck eggs
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 December 05 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken having one of my typo days I think lol Pay pal and ebay work very well with the mails sent to them I must admit I nearly got conned on that one first time around now I chuck em straight in the deleted section, there is a new one also just started going round if you are an ebay seller they are being sent out in the format of Question for seller which if you have items listed you may log into I got one the other day but had no items on ebay so knew something was wrong.....so sellers beware check the item number it relates to as there was no such item....another scam to try and get us with...

Angie
Riley- Lancashire Blackburn
Regan
Birtwistle - Lancashire back to 1160
Kilkenny - County May0
Nuttall -Lancashire
Smethurst Lancashire
Sparnon- Cornwall and Dalton in Furness
Whiteside dalton in furness
crossley lancashire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 December 05 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Another scam which I have just become aware of is the sending out of 'Certificates' which state that the receiver has won in excess of 2 million pounds.  All you have to do to claim it is send £20 'admin. fees'!!!

I received one yesterday and filed it straight into the bin - what would I do with 2 million pounds anyway  ;D ;D

Maggie  :)
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 December 05 10:56 GMT (UK) »
JAP, can you explain that one, please?  And I hope we're not going to have an outbreak of scrolling posts!  ::)
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 December 05 12:39 GMT (UK) »
I think what JAP is trying to say is that many mailing lists are strictly moderated and any attempts to go off topic are strictly forbidden.
In addition you also have the problem that a lot of virus warnings that are circulated are hoaxes ..... a prime example was the one that tried to get everyone to delete a file where the icon was a small teddy bear from their systems .... this simply disabled a part of the computer system.

Unfortunately there are people out there who take some sort of perverse pleasure in creating these hoaxes and chain letters regardless of the consequences for those innocents who knowing nothing better either continue there circulation or actually act upon them.

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 December 05 21:51 GMT (UK) »
this wasn't a virus warning it was a fraud warning, but I know what you mean fake viruses can be as bad

If you do open these fake mails you can forward them to the banks security sections

Such as this internetsecurity[AT]barclays.co.uk replacing [AT] with @

http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/section/internet_fraud.htm is a site with advice on

Andrew

Oh and Maggie 2 million is no good apparentely you need 3 to live the life of a millionare - as if I know
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 December 05 22:30 GMT (UK) »
this wasn't a virus warning it was a fraud warning,

Sorry, I wasn't trying to state anything about the original post or the reasons behind it ... I was simply trying to clarify a point made by another poster.

Unfortunately many systems get jammed up by people who unknowingly perpetuate hoaxes

But your warning regarding bank frauds is a timely one and everyone should heed it

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 December 05 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Whoops - no its me who should be sorry looking at my reply it does start a bit iffy and terse

I've had 36 (thirty six) of these mails in 8 days

Andrew

I wouldn't mind I don't have any money  ;) ;)
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 December 05 23:05 GMT (UK) »
A slightly aside issue to Banks and scam emails.....and not trying to teach any of you to suck eggs either............

Not that many PC users seem to be aware of this.......

If you are running Broadband through an external modem ie, not the one in your PC, it would be worth your while to disable the internal modem in your PC.....and if you have a phone line connection straight from the PC to the phone socket, have that disconnected as well.

Even with your Broadband connection 'off' and your PC is switched on, if someone has stuck a dialler programme or anything else nasty (keylogger, say) in your PC (picked up in the course of your Internet visits) the d**n thing can use the 'defunct' line and modem to pass info and data out.

You disable it via Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Modems, Disable.

Al

ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 December 05 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Most legitimate bank sites have their own fraud protection address and are happy for customers to forward these dubious ones onto them. I'm sure they would rather receive loads of scam ones than any of their customer be caught out by these evil tricksters.
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.