Author Topic: 1841 Census look-up please - Samuel RICHARDSON  (Read 13164 times)

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census look-up please - Samuel RICHARDSON
« Reply #45 on: Monday 12 October 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that Mary Hitchinson b1800ish married Joseph Davenport 12 Aug 1823 at Whitegate (as Hutchinson). There is a Mary Davenport married to Joseph living in Tetton in 1861 census birthplace is Darnhall b1801. She is still there in 1871 census, aged 70, birthplace 'Over', now widowed. I have yet to dig out the original census records.

I also thought it likely that James Hitchinson b1799, became the James Richardson married to Ellen and both living into their 80s in Warmingham. This is mainly down to census birthplace being Darnhall, with no obvious candidates with that name and the correct birth date. I have no marriage for these two, though Ellen is recorded as being born in Warmingham (or nearby Moston Green).

Edit : I notice that Whitegate St Mary was the parish chruch for Darnhall until 1876, even though it was quite a distance.

Steve

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 17 October 15 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I would say that those two marriages are highly possible - I can find nothing to prove them wrong but unfortunately when researching so far back it is also very difficult to prove they are the correct ones.

I am much happier with more recent research where I can find actual proof.

I am looking to see if I can find any relevant wills which might help to confirm this.

Will let you know if I come up with anything.

Dea x

P.S. - I have e-mailed you 2 birth certs and Samuel's Will - let me know if you receive them O.K. - Will send more though asap.

Dea x

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Have found a bit more evidence supporting the idea that James Hutchinson and his family changed their surname to Richardson, but they did it some time after 1841.

1841 Census Elton, Warmingham
James Hutchinson aged 40 Ag Lab bCheshire
Wife Elen aged 35 bCheshire
Children Charles aged 7, Hanah aged 4, Elen aged 7 months
Also John Hulme aged 18

1851 Census Warmingham
James Richardson aged 52 Ag Lab bDarnhall
Wife Ellen aged 48 bMoston
Children Charles aged 16, Elijah aged 7, Mary aged 5.
Also William Hulme aged 62 Retired Farmer

No christenings for James Richardson in Darnhall, Over, or Whitegate 1798-1802
One christening for James Hutchenson at St Chad's, Over, father John Hutchenson 1799

Am I worried about the Hutchinson, Hutchenson, Hitchinson variations at St Chad's? Not really, the christenings with John H.... as father don't clash. I just suspect the handwriting is tricky to read.

Not proof, but the evidence is stacking up.

The marriage of James and Ellen is a bit mysterious - the only candidate I have is in Warmingham in 1821 to Ellen Steele - which is 20 years before the first census, and can't see any children before 1834. Its a little odd.

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 02 January 16 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Just found the tithe map c1840 for Warmingham, shows James' surname as Hitchenson rather than Hutchinson (as he appears in the census). Plot 244a. He also rented a small enclosure - plot 257. Both owned by Lord Crewe.