Author Topic: Thomas REID  (Read 772 times)

Offline AudreyML

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas REID
« on: Friday 02 December 05 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me trace Thomas REID who emigrated to Canada in July of 1926. He was born in Langholm Dumfriesshire Scotland on Sept 14th 1900, and the son of John REID and Agnes Davidson Wilson.
Thomas sailed on the Aurania from Greenock (Glasgow) to Quebec and arrived at that port on the 25th July. He was to go to an Uncle by the name of Thomas WILSON in Tugaske Sask but never arrived. Thomas sailed alone and was 25 years of age. He had £5 cash with him at the time according to his emmigration records. I'd be grateful if anyone could help.

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas REID
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 05 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Audrey

That's a tough one. The last available Canada wide census is 1911 so that' s no help.

The only other Canada wide resource I can think of is the 1940 Registration files. See http://naturalizationrecords.com/canada/ for help with that. There's a link to download a form and you can send off to Stats Canada for a search.

This was the compulsory registration of all persons, 16 years of age or older, in the period from 1940 to 1946. This is another way to find an ancestor in that time period. This is a Census Substitute

Good luck
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore