Author Topic: MORRIS, Prendergast, Haverfordwest and Pembroke  (Read 5318 times)

Offline johnupatree

• RootsChat Extra
  • To boldly go where no SMYTH has gone before.
    • View Profile
MORRIS, Prendergast, Haverfordwest and Pembroke
« on: Wednesday 07 January 04 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking for anyone with MORRIS connections to Prendergast, Haverfordwest or Pembroke, especially if you have the following in your tree.
Evan, father of David 1797 - 1867 m Martha GRIFFITH, parents of, Thomas 1815 - 1892 m Mary Ann ALLEN.
Thomas and Mary moved to Liverpool c1839. Their children where,
Martha Louisa  1840-1887
Edward William 1844-1845
Theodore  1846-?
Alfred  1848-1852
Emily Jane 1850-?
Thomas Rowland 1851-?
Lavinia 1853-1941
Florence Mary 1855-1932
Alice 1858-1904
Allen Edwin Thomas 1862-1939 (my ggf)
Do any of these names figure in your family tree? further details available on request, places etc
Thanks
There are no boundaries, live the dream.

SMYTH,           Ireland and Liverpool
MORRIS,         Pembrokeshire, Liverpool and Patagonia
HAIGH,           Huddersfield
CONLEY,         Ireland and Liverpool
PEIL,               Huddersfield & Germany
McCARTHY       Liverpool
MILLS              Staffordshire
WILLIAMS       Liverpool
BROWNER       Liverpool

Offline DRodrigu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MORRIS, Prendergast, Haverfordwest and Pembroke
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 05 09:52 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to find any possible information about the family of John Newland Morris, believed born 10 Feb 1823, Llandysul, Carmarthenshire, Wales.

John's parents are believed to be Samuel Morris and Hannah Newland.

John married Phoebe Devonald in Wales. The marriage is believed to have occurred 9 Dec 1853, Saron Chapel, Letterston, Pembrokeshire.

John and Phoebe emigrated to the U.S. in 1855 with daughter Isabella, believed born 5 Jul 1854, Summerhill, Letterston, Pembrokeshire.

Any information you can supply is greatly appreciated.

Donald Rodrigues
USA

Offline johnupatree

• RootsChat Extra
  • To boldly go where no SMYTH has gone before.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 05 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Donald,
Sorry I cannot help at all, wrong area for a start, my lot all came from Pembrokeshire and as far as I am aware, none went to North America.
Sorry.

John
There are no boundaries, live the dream.

SMYTH,           Ireland and Liverpool
MORRIS,         Pembrokeshire, Liverpool and Patagonia
HAIGH,           Huddersfield
CONLEY,         Ireland and Liverpool
PEIL,               Huddersfield & Germany
McCARTHY       Liverpool
MILLS              Staffordshire
WILLIAMS       Liverpool
BROWNER       Liverpool

Offline sandymorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 05 16:59 BST (UK) »
I have William Morris, b. 1812 in Llanaber or Llanroir (census enumerator's writing isn't clear), Pembs, married Martha Davies, b. 1815 at Mertilly Pembs.  Children, Watkin Morris, b. 1834/35 at Lamar, Montgomery, William, b. 1836 at Warren, Pembs, and Frances b. 1857 also at Warren, Pembs.

Any use to you?

Regards
Sandy Morris

Offline Jenilou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 February 06 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm having a nightmare time with my Morris!!

My great grandfather George Morris, (then living in Lampeter Velfrey), claims to be 29 and born in 'St. Daniel's, Pembroke' on the 1901 census.  St. Daniel's is just a church, not a district by the way, on a hill overlooking the town of Pembroke, so it is kind of odd that he specifies it by name.  There are a few farms round about but that's it.

His death certificate of 1936 shows him as being aged 64 and therefore ties in with the 1901 census agewise

So I find a George Morris born in Pembroke - 28th June 1871 which fits in perfectly with the census and the death certificate, but when I get the birth certificate he's born in Pembroke Dock, 6 miles from St. Daniel's, and has a father also named George - a soldier!  Why mention St Daniel's, Pembroke when he was actually born 6 miles away by a dockyard!  Something not quite right.

Then I also found him on the 1891 census with the same birthplace - St. Daniel's again ....  but claiming to be 21 - suddenly 2 years older?

His marriage certificate with the right wife (Martha Thomas), living in the right place at the right time (Crunwere 1893) lists him as being 23 (again the extra 2 years) and with a father called not George but James - also a soldier - deceased!!!

Obviously the birth certificate and/or the marriage are wrong, and I don't' know which, or both.  My hunch is it's the birth certificate and I got the wrong George.  Trouble is I can''t find the right one! Can't find the father either .... be he George Morris or James Morris, and I wonder if they were garrisoned overseas or fighting in the Zulu Wars (600 Welsh Borderers from Pembroke Dock died in that war - 1979, so the dates would tie in), I don't think I'm ever gonna find them!  Without George's birth certificate I can't find the mother ... so I'm stuck.

It is absolutely driving me nuts.

Don't even let me start on Martha Thomas, his wife (nee Morris) of Laugharne.  I had her all sorted out too, until I saw the extra two years on the marriage certificate (she should have been 20, not 22 as listed) and the father is written as Richard instead of the William I was expecting!

What is going on here? Do others have these problems?  Do you also find the ages change from census to census?   Would they lie and say they are two years older on their marriage certificate?   Why would they do that?

Is it always like this?  HEEEEELP!?!

Offline Jenilou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 February 06 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I meant 1879 for the Zulu Wars.  It's late, I'm tired and I still can't find the right records for George and Martha's births ....

???