Author Topic: Kerrigans  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Hudggy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Kerrigan
    • View Profile
Kerrigans
« on: Monday 05 December 05 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have reached a point in my search for my 2nd Great Grandparents Patrick Kerrigan and Bridget McGowan. I have found their marriage they married in Cliffony Ahamlish Sligo in Feb 1852. The problem is finding where they lived and died. I now believe Bridget may have stayed near Cliffony but Patrick may have come from just over the border in Leitrim as in the Griffiths Valuations of the time has Patricks in Leitrim. So therefore they could have lived and died in Leitrim. What I hope some can do is help me disprove or prove this thought. So if anyone has information on the Patricks in Leitrim at time could you please help get past this brickwall
Thanking all in advance Robert ( Kerriag ) Carrigan
Kerrigan Torbet  Mead Galt  McGowan Stewart Caldwell, Ireland
Stevenson Caldwell Kerrigan Carrigan, Scotland
Calderwood, England

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Kerrigans
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 08 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Robert,

The 1856 Valuation is your starting point. You may be able to use the Valuation to pinpoint a possible date of death, a family emigrating or even find a living relative as there are other books which unfortunately tend not to be online.

The Valuation of 1848-64 was known as the Primary Valuation. Three notebooks were used.

1. Field Books: Information on the size & quality of a holding
2. House Books: Occupiers name and measurement of any buildings
3. Tenure Books: Annual rent paid and legal basis - whether by lease, or at will, also the year of any lease.

These notebooks also document any changes in occupation between the initial survey and the final published survey.

The valuation office holds the 'Cancelled' / 'Revision' Land Books & Current Land Books.

The 'Cancelled Land Books' and 'Current Land Books', give details of all changes in the holdings, from the time of the Primary Valuation up to the present day.

Christopher

Offline Hudggy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Kerrigan
    • View Profile
Re: Kerrigans
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 April 08 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christopher,

I will look into that and see where it leads me

Thanks again
Robert
Kerrigan Torbet  Mead Galt  McGowan Stewart Caldwell, Ireland