Author Topic: Help with reading electoral rolls  (Read 2485 times)

Offline North Country Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with reading electoral rolls
« on: Tuesday 06 December 05 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am currently researching my family through the electorcla rolls for Hull and have stumbled across a couple of oddities.

My g-g-grandfather, William Coates is listed on the 1907/08 roll as residing at 3 addresses. They are; 1 Pennington Street, The Groves, 53 Berkshire Street and 128 Hodgson Street and the 1908/09 roll at 4 addresses 46 Witham, 1 Pennington Street, 2 Holborn Street and 36a Buckingham Street.

Does that mean that he resided at all address in that year?

Also my g-grandfather, Albert Olsen who arrived in Hull c. 1905 and first appears on the roll for 1914/15. He next appears on the voting roll from 1919-1922 (there was no roll taken during WW1) and then reappears for 1932/33 only.

Albert was a Swedish subject who, it appears, didn't apply for British citizenship.

Any help would be gratefully recived.

Ian :)

Researching:<br /><br />Olsen - Sweden/South Wales/Hull<br />Coates - East Yorkshire/Hull<br />Latus - Hull/Kings Lynn/Kent/Hampshire/Middlesborough<br />
Bradley-Nottinghamshire/Oldcoates
Dearing - Hull/East Yorkshire/Halifax<br />Murphy - Dublin/Hull
England - Pontefract
Cave - Pontefeact/Doncaster
Walker - Devon/Hull

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with reading electoral rolls
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Ian.  On the first point, are you sure all 3 are the same William Coates?
On the second point, I'm not sure how the electoral list was compiled in those days, but Albert may have neglected to say that he wasn't a British citizen.  In the decade he was missing, he may just have not filled in the forms. 
No help, I know, but you'll probably never know the answer.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian,

totally irrelevant to your query but my husbands gt grandparents lived at 54 Berkshire Street in the early 1900's. :)

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline North Country Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 12:06 GMT (UK) »

Hello Sutton Trust,

Yes, all addresses relate to the same William Coates. Basically, on the electoral roll, each street is listed in numerical order and William has three addresses listed next to him (and four the year after).

Confusing isn't it.

Ian ???
Researching:<br /><br />Olsen - Sweden/South Wales/Hull<br />Coates - East Yorkshire/Hull<br />Latus - Hull/Kings Lynn/Kent/Hampshire/Middlesborough<br />
Bradley-Nottinghamshire/Oldcoates
Dearing - Hull/East Yorkshire/Halifax<br />Murphy - Dublin/Hull
England - Pontefract
Cave - Pontefeact/Doncaster
Walker - Devon/Hull

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 12:55 GMT (UK) »
All I can think of is that he owned all the houses.  But he would have rented out all but one of them.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure you were looking at an Electoral Register and not the Rates Register.
Rates Registers where separate from the Electoral Register.
A lot of people rented property but the landlord was responsible for the payment of the rates.This was so up until at least 1974.The two where amalgamated to prevent people from voting twice and non payment of rates. Took them long enough to spot it though ;D
Hope this helps
                                Patricia
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
Cutts: London;Derbyshire; Yorkshire;Lancashire
One Name Study -  OCCOMORE
~~~~~~~~-------
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Interesting note this on electoral rolls as I was tracing ancestors in the 1900's upwards in Co Durham.  I noticed the same thing.  As far as I am aware it listed the PREVIOUS addresses of the person who was voting as they moved from rented accomodation to rented accomodation, so there last address is given.  Perhaps he moved more than once in the year!

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
REDSHAW - Hamsterley, DUR
REYNOLDS - Fritton,Stratton,NFK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
TALLACK - St Agnes Padstow,CON
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum
WILSON - Hamsterley, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

Electoral Rolls usually have a Heading for each page. The heading quotes how the people below have qualified. One page will be for the head of the household renting a property. The same person can be on another page for owning a property, or separately owning more than one property or a business. A heading can be for local elections another for National elections.
From this it can be seen that the same person can appear a number of times in a particular year.
The important thing is to read the headings on each sheet of the full original copy of the Rolls.

Regarding Rates, I have copies of pages of rate books from the mid 1800,s that states my ancestors house description, eg Brookfield Cottage, and the amount of yearly rate and his name, they certainly did not own the property. I have traced there movements this way. Yes the landlords were responsible for the payment but not being philanthropic the tenant always paid.
So go to your local archives, study the format of the books carefully, reading the headings on the page. I know when we see the name we are looking for we jump for joy and tend to sit back and glow instead of noting every aspect of what we have seen and writing it down.

Regards Oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire