Author Topic: Where to buy a new family bible  (Read 20261 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where to buy a new family bible
« on: Tuesday 06 December 05 16:02 GMT (UK) »
We do have a Petts family bible, but are unable to see it as it is my fathers cousins attic.  :(
I have contacted him numerous times to see it or for details to copied for me to view, as has my father and his sister, but with no luck or reply from the cousin.

I would now like to start a new family bible, and have lots of infomation to put in it, even More than the original so I have been told.

Where do I start?

We are C of E  and in the 1790's they were Non Comformists.

Thanks

Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy a new family bible
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Before buying a bible you need to decide just what you want.
Consider the following.

A bigger bible is easier to read and gives more space to write.

The type of binding will determine the life of the bible, a good binding will stand up to the stresses of a lifetimes recording.

Do you want an illustrated bible or just a text version?

Most good book shops will cary copies of bibles there is a choice at -
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_sp?sp=58490&p=1018818

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.
I think I would like a decent sized Bible, so I can write everything in it. And make it easier to read.

I agree binding is very important, to withstand years of reading and adding new family members.

My father mentioned to go for The King James Bible.

Thank for you help.

Pettsy

Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Pettsy,
What an interesting topic for you to debut with!!

I have been reading Church History at University and some of my classes were to do with biblical studies. There are Bibles and there are Bibles!!

My own preference is for the King James (authorised) version (and you can get an updated version of that these days) although I also like the NRSV (New Revised Standard Version - anglicised edition) which is easier to read.

Personally, I always judge a Bible by the way they translate that passage from the Book of Ruth (well I would, wouldn't I)...Entreat me not to leave thee...it only really works in the King James Version (KJV)

Whichever version you choose - I'd go with Guy's recommendations about size and bindings etc

Best wishes, RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you RuthieB.
I have decided to go with the King James Bible.
My father told me there is a shop down Fleet Street, so I will take a look after Christmas

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Christmas is a good time to visit your cousin, Perhaps it's not easy to gain access to the loft, take an agile member of the family with you. ;D
It would be lovely to see the bible. Perhaps you could ask your cousin for their input, maybe they would become interested enough to help you out with the family history, and let you have the bible. ::) Not much use to anyone in the loft is it? ???
Good Luck
                             Patricia
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
Cutts: London;Derbyshire; Yorkshire;Lancashire
One Name Study -  OCCOMORE
~~~~~~~~-------

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Patrica,
It is my fathers cousin, I have wrote to him (as he lives out of London) and my dad's sister even visited him to ask to see it, he promised he would climb and and get it in the morning and bring it over to her hotel, which he never did.  ???
It is not even in his name (it's in his mothers maiden name, my Grandfathers sister) I agree it is no use to anyone in the attic, I just want to see it, and make some notes.

I have been researching both sides of my family tree now for almost a year, and have spent a fortune on certificates etc... I now have to visit Hertfordshire Archives to further my search and was hoping some infomation in the Bible would help.

I am going to write to his sister to see if she can help, and enclose a sae too, so they have no excuse not to reply  ;)

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Good thinking ;)

Hope that works, perhaps if he gets it down he won't want to go back up in the Attic to put it back. ;D

Byeee
                        Patricia
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
Cutts: London;Derbyshire; Yorkshire;Lancashire
One Name Study -  OCCOMORE
~~~~~~~~-------

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 December 05 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
What a good idea :)
Re the existing Bible - Maybe if you say how much this would mean to your Father to see the Family Bible again, I don't know how old your father is, but you could also include something about that perhaps.
Good luck,Newbie