Author Topic: Descendents of Walter Phillips  (Read 18045 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Descendents of Walter Phillips
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 January 06 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Are you a qualified historian? You seem to have a mind similar to me in the way you work things out.

I have found James living with his maternal grandfather William Taylor at 15 Windsor Terrace, Penarth, Glamorgan. He gives his occupation as Superannuate from the Inland Revenue. Wonder if that is where the money came from? I know it is the right James as there is a Fanny Taylor daughter living with him as Housekeeper and she was born in Sheffield the same as Walter's mother.

The strange thing about the changes of name is that when I started work there in 1963 it was called Phillips Rubber and Company but within a few years it became Phillips Patents. I will check and see if there is any reason for it. When I read the financial report for 1968 it said the company was loosing money and the following year I was made redundant. The reason given was they had to reduce the number of technicians and I was the only married female in the labs!!! There were only 2 women and 14 men who were on twice the wage of the women. Bet it wouldn't happen these days.

Another thing that is curious about the name is Guide Bridge is a place in Bury and I never heard it referred to by any other name and just presumed it was the local terminology for "the other factory".  Although they did make entirely different products than we did so the labs had very little to do with each other.

As for Phillips Yeast what's that all about? Why yeast and where was the factory I don't think I have seen a reference to it yet.

You are right about The Times the only trouble is I keep getting distracted because I read all of the page and forget what I was looking for in the first place.

Will give it a go with the Patents. Who knows I may come across something.

Regards

Margaret.

PS I still love to stand near a shoe repair shop and smell the rubber and adhesive. No! I am not a glue sniffer I am just nostalgic at times. Must be getting old.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 January 06 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret, wish I could have this hobby as a job - no I work for the health service :) but have been off work for four weeks and my boredom got the better of me and that's why I have been joined to the PC more than usual searching for dead relatives and those of other peoples [cos mine keep hiding!]. It is good for the idle mind ;D ;D

Hope you find some more from the clues. I think you're getting there. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he patented loads of things!

Margaret :)

P.S.
My smell addiction is the old hardware shops that used to sell everything from paraffin, old bars of soap that smelled like Jeyes Fluid,  to nails loose by the pound. Mmmmmm
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Ooh! Yes I remember that as well. Brings back lovely memories of going with my great aunts to get the pink paraffin and being fascinated with all the things on the shelves. Why did all the shops seem dark to me?

I am also off work. Had a slight heart attack a few weeks ago and told not to do anything strenuous so I am following doctors orders and relaxing. Well trying to but I get so excited when I find a new thread I have to keep telling myself to calm down. Ha! Ha! :D

Just helped out a lady who was looking for rellies in Wales but it took me ages to read the writing. Hope it was the right family.

Regards

Margaret

Offline roynold

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am tracing my husbands tree, and found your notes and the names all tie in, i.e Mary Jane,Bessie,Walter,James,and George, although no mention of Florence.
The address I have in 1901 is 3 St Helens Ave/Cres,, St.Helen's, Glam.
My Husband's relative was George, his great Grandad, who later moved to Cambridge, were the family is now based.
Could this be the same Phillips Family?

Regards,
Lynda Phillips
Jane Wan Douglas Bayne-Carnbee
Adam Hannah-Crail
Thomas Andrews-Port Galsgow
Robert Crombie-Leith
Frank Tredgett-Cambridge
George Phillips_Cambridge

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 August 06 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynda

Yes it certainly looks like the same family doesn't it? Did George have any links with the company?

I am fascinated with how the company developed and what instigated the development side off the company and why Manchester and Bury? The link has got to be around the 1895 period. Why did Walter move away from the family business and move into developing rubber products in Lancashire and not Wales? I think the only way to find out is to research the development of rubber and see if there are any links to Swansea ie through the docks. I know in the 60's most of the rubber came from Malaysia via the Manchester Ship Canal.

Do you have any details about that side of the business and were there any other members of the family involved in the company?

Margaret

Offline roynold

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 August 06 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Margret,
Just read your notes, and no sorry this is the first I have heard about the company,.
I am trying to trace my husband roys tree, and he klnows nothing about his Welsh relations, George Phillips moved to Paddington , had a son George ( Roys Grandad), and then he moves to Haslingfield, Cambridge when Georgew is 2, and marries a woman who has two children.
George then marries Sarah Jervis in 1924 and has 3 sons, Eddie(died in the war), Frank (D), and Thomas (Roys dad)D. in Cambridge,
Thomas marries Betty Minnie Tredgett , in 1949 and has 6 children, Wendy, Roy, Edward (d), Pauline, Keith and Susan.

So I have just found the Welsh link, with Mary Jane, but on the census, she is a widow, and thats where I have got to so far.

Do you have any further info that could help, please,

Regards,

Lynda Phiiilip
Jane Wan Douglas Bayne-Carnbee
Adam Hannah-Crail
Thomas Andrews-Port Galsgow
Robert Crombie-Leith
Frank Tredgett-Cambridge
George Phillips_Cambridge

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 August 06 20:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry Lynda I can't help you with the family. I have traced the family back to 1841 but only because I was trying to find a link between Walter's company and where he lived and the mystery of how he moved away from the family business and into the shoe trade. I think George is living with Walter on the 1901 census where Walter states he is a boot and shoe traveller yet all the information I have on him points to Phillips Patents being formed circa 1898. Why didn't he say he was a Director of a company?

I can let you have all the census records if that's any use.

Margaret

Offline mojaquero

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 September 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I came across this old thread and wondered how far back you had got. I see from the replies that 1841 was the where the block came.

The Phillips family are an old established farming family in west Carmarthenshire. Walter's niece (brother George's daughter) was High Sheriff of Carmarthen in 1961-62. You can follow this link for her obituary   http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituaries-mollie-phillips-1568530.html

Walter and George's father was John Phillips who married Mary Jane Taylor and John's father was Walter(Watt) Phillips who married Mary Thomas in 1831.Watt is shown on the 1851 census living in The White Lion Inn in Llanwinio parish.

I have information on preceding generations from a locally researched tree. Let me know if I can be of assistance

K

Offline Kanga1967

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have joined this site on the off chance you are still around and wanting information.
I am the great granddaughter of W W Phillips and various relatives one generation up are still alive and will probably have knowledge if you are still interested.
My Mum talks of seeing soldiers off to war wearing boots with the Phillips patent Rubber Soles on them.
Regards.