Author Topic: No birth record for IGI Christening!!  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
No birth record for IGI Christening!!
« on: Wednesday 07 December 05 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Anyone know where I go from here!!??

On IGI there is a Christening for Daniel Gates on March 20th 1842 at Crosthwaite, Cumberland - batch C003012 - to John and Anne

There is no record of this on FreeBMD - so I can't easily get his birth certificate from the GRO.
I wrote to Cockermouth Registration Service but they say they can not find a birth with these details.

As according to IGI this couple had 9 children - and Daniel was the last and only one after September 1837 - how can I get further details of the parents?
It is really John Gates born, according to IGI in 1824 that I am really interested in as I think this is my 3x great grandfather - but thought getting any of his siblings would help!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: No birth record for IGI Christening!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

The IGI records on show the basic entry.  You need the parish records from the archives which show the christening dates and the parents address and occupation of father.  Should also find a marriage and witnesses.  GRO index at archives or online will help to find a birth quarter.  Bear in mind christening may have been at a different registration district to what the birth registration was!

Hope this helps a bit

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
REDSHAW - Hamsterley, DUR
REYNOLDS - Fritton,Stratton,NFK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
TALLACK - St Agnes Padstow,CON
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum
WILSON - Hamsterley, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 16:47 GMT (UK) »
There is an entry in FreeBMD for March 1845 for the birth of Daniel Gates Cockermouth 25 92 (and another for Whitehaven).

Could this be your Daniel?

I agree that otherwise you should get someone to check the actual parish register entry.  Are the places and dates consistent with 1841 and 1851 census entries?

Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks for that - I think!!  ;D ;D

I was hoping there was another way, without seeing the parish records as that is to far at the moment.

I had thought that the christening may be a time after the birth - which is why I hoped that the search by Cockermouth Register Office might fine something - but I hadn't thought it could be in a different area!
However as all 9 children were Christened at Crosthwaite - I think they were probably born there as well.

Thanks for the advice again.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi behindthefrogs,

My reply crossed your posting - I did see that record in 1845 - and asked them to check with a death at the same time - the death was for a boy only a few days old with different parents to mine.

I have John's census records from 1841 to his death in 1882 and surprisingly they all have a similar date for his birth - and he is even born in the same place - Keswick - on all records!!

Just can't find it!! ;D ;D

Anyone else have access to parish records of Keswick??

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Remember that registration wan't compulsory until 1875.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 17:11 GMT (UK) »

I am sure my lot were good citizens and did as they were told!!  ;D

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 December 05 17:47 GMT (UK) »
It sounds as if you need to look at the parish records for Crosthwaite not Keswick.  They are at Carlisle but there are copies up to 1812 at the SOG in London if you are near there.
Andrea

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 December 05 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

About equally as far from London as from Carlisle - here in Shropshire!!

Might have to leave that side of the family for a bit - until I get time to get to Cumberland - when does summer start up there!  ;D

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails