Author Topic: 1871 Census - Edward Jenkins, Aberystwyth  (Read 1444 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
1871 Census - Edward Jenkins, Aberystwyth
« on: Wednesday 07 December 05 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace Edward Jenkins in 1871.   He was born in Aberystwth about 1843 and in 1861 was a painter and plumber (handy guy), living in Queen Street with his parents, William and Catherine.
By 1871 he may well have been married, but by 1881 he was widowed.
Thanks in anticipation, cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline angi0

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census - Edward Jenkins, Aberystwyth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 17:03 GMT (UK) »
1871 Wales Census
RG10/5562 folio 17 page 25
Address
Moon Street
Aberystwith

Edward Jenkins Head Age 29 Wine merchant B Aberystwith
Ann Wife Age 29 B Aberystwith
Catherine Daughter Age 4 B Aberystwith

Could this be him?
angie
Riley- Lancashire Blackburn
Regan
Birtwistle - Lancashire back to 1160
Kilkenny - County May0
Nuttall -Lancashire
Smethurst Lancashire
Sparnon- Cornwall and Dalton in Furness
Whiteside dalton in furness
crossley lancashire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angie,
What a great thought to have a wine merchant in the family  ;D   
It's very tempting but knowing the rest of the family I think it's unlikely (better at drinking it than selling it).   10 years before he was a painter and in 1881 I THINK he was a sailor.   
I'm intrigued to know where Moon St. was.   It must have been one of the streets demolished or renamed at a later date.   Perhaps someone can tell me.
Thanks for your trouble, cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 December 05 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave.

just had a look at the site for old maps. There was no moon st in Aber in 1879 according to that site.

If you mail the ceredigion archives, or the library in Aberystwyth, they will be able to put you in the picture. It would seem there was a lot of construction work going on there round that time, and a few streets were demolished to improve the town for the "health tourists".

Have you got the email addresses, or shall I mail them to you?

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 December 05 12:08 GMT (UK) »
D

There was a lot of construction work going on at the time.   I have a number of old maps and none of them show Moon St.
Although my memory does not go back that far,  never heard any mention of it either.
Probably a census transcription error.

Dave