Author Topic: ***COMPLETED***What is this occupation please?  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Essex export

• RootsChat Member
  • My first bike
    • View Profile
Re: What is this occupation please?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Definitely "shirt". What looks like another letter is just the continuation of the underlining someone has done at some time.

Regards
Andy
Ketch, Catch - Warwickshire.
Elliott, Dawson, Armstrong, Rigg, Wass, Gargett, Wilson - Durham.
Fishburn - Durham & N. Yorks
Gibson - Whitby, N. Yorks
Kellett - Yorkshire
Eaton, Horner, Gisby, Cotgrove, Emery - Leigh, Essex
Eaton, Horner, - Australia

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your replies.

Definitely "shirt". What looks like another letter is just the continuation of the underlining someone has done at some time.

Regards
Andy

Good point, and the more I look at it the more I agree with Shirt.

Welcome to Rootschat Andy - I hope you enjoy this site :D

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I've got another one and thought I'd attach it to this thread.

It's the first occupation - Cook & House ?????  What's the last word please?

Should anyone like to see the full image the reference is:
RG13/5199 folio 59 page 9

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 18:59 GMT (UK) »
LOL you fooled me, it was Wales!

The reason for wanting to see the original is the magnifying glass which helps quite a bit.  I still think it is shirt but looking at it closely the horizontal line of the X suddenly veers upwards at the end making it look like the downward stroke of an h and the arched bottom bit of the h is actually a long tail on the t.  So I'm positive it's SHIRT.

The other one is harder, but my guess, and it is only a guess is that it's Mrs. so the enumerator means housewife.

Mary

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary

I forgot to mention that it was Wales, oops sorry!!!!

SHIRT it is then!!!!

The second one........yes, I thought it might be a very untidily written Mrs, but I never thought that the enumerator would mean Housewife.  Obviously my crystal ball wasn't working properly ;D ;D

Thanks for your help

Jan :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 December 05 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,
 Don't know if this is relevant, but  I seem to remember from a long ago reading that in Victorian households the Cook was always addressed and known as 'Mrs' regardless of marital state.  This was mark of her rank as chief in the kitchen.

The 'h' is not an 'h' as you can clearly see the 't' lazily connects to the beginning of the next word 'M'  The apparent 'h' is part of the later cross-hatching. 
My 2bob's worth off my chest!
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 December 05 04:04 GMT (UK) »
That's right about Cook being referred to as Mrs regardless of marital status (ditto a Housekeeper who was in charge).  But I think this is a slightly different case.  This lady wasn't simply a Cook.  She was the widowed Aunt of the farmer who was the head of the household - a household which comprised the farmer, his two brothers, the widowed aunt, and one female and two male servants.  The farmer is described as working 'on his own account', the two brothers as 'worker at home', and the three servants as 'worker'.  But in Auntie's case the columns are left blank.  I suspect that the additional description in the occupation column might have been intended to accord Auntie the dignity of being described as the Mistress of the House!

JAP

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 December 05 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Sue and JAP

Thank you for the explanation of a cook being known as "Mrs" - how interesting!!!!

As well as getting confirmation of the unclear word, I have also learnt something else new :D

Many thanks to you both

Jan

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 December 05 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, Lloydy

My vote would be House Mrs as an abbreviation for House Mistress

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk