Author Topic: 1901 Leftovers: Abbreviated Names  (Read 13319 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
1901 Leftovers: Abbreviated Names
« on: Wednesday 07 December 05 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I would like to know how to transcribe abbreviated names on the 1901 images.

For example, Jno, Margt, Ed, Richd etc etc. 

Should I be typing "what I see" or should I type them in full.  As a Secretary, I find it very hard to leave them as they are as I was always taught to type things fully :D but I realise that with transcriptions things might be different.

Thanks

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abbreviated Names
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to also add that the same query applies with the counties in the "Where Born" Column.

Example: Montgomerysh.  Should this be typed as Montgomeryshire?

Thanks once again

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Normal transcription practice is to type what you see not what you think it should be.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Having transcribed for FreeBMD I am of the opinion that you should ALWAYS type what you see.  These pages were written 100 years ago and its really not down to us to guess and change them, even if our guesses must be correct.  It tends to be built into database search engines to take account of abbreviated names, so when searching for John the Jno's are also found and Jas for James, Wm for William  etc.  And if that's beyond the capabilities of that particular database then it's down to the searcher, as usual anyway, to be creative in their searches.

So far as the counties are concerned, I think you would have to take the advice of whoever is creating the complete database and what others have done, since a county is often a useful search field.  But it does beg the question of what to do when the county is illegible.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 December 05 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Guy and Mary for your advice.

I shall type the names as I see them :D

Jan