Author Topic: What is a "Book of Settlement"  (Read 973 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What is a "Book of Settlement"
« on: Thursday 08 December 05 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

I didn't know where else to place this question so the "Common Room" has the floor -

In a will dated 1847, my ancestor left an enormous amount of money and property to his children and wife (I believe it was his second wife, married 1821)

In the will he states that his wife is to enjoy herself with the monies bequeathed to her - as per their arrangement in their "Book of Settlement"

WHAT IS A BOOK OF SETTLEMENT?

My best guess is that SHE had the money and it was part of her "dowry" when he married her - he was a Grocer, so I don't think he originally had millions so they made an official agreement that would ensure she would always have money.

Any other suggestions? and would there be any record of this agreement?

Would love to know where the money came from   ???

Many thanks
Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What is a "Book of Settlement"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 December 05 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Di

I've googled the term and just got pages and pages about "Landnámabók (the book of settlement), one of the strangest of the works of Icelandic literature" - so I doubt that that's what your ancestor was referring to!

I hope we've got some legal experts who will know the term.

Monica

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 December 05 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I also googled and found the Iceland information - as you say, interesting, but not relevant.

I hope someone has some ideas - I'm sure it sounds like a "pre-nuptial agreement of the 19th century", but I'll see if anyone has other suggestions.

Rgds
Di

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 December 05 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Di,

If this was as a result of a marriage settlement (and there were plenty!) then there may be a record of the settlement at a local record office.  If you search the catalogue database at:

http://www.a2a.org.uk

(put in either of their names and choose the area of England where you expect the records to be kept) - you may be lucky and get a summary of the content of the settlement or at the least a catalogue reference.  You are not able to see the records online, but it would make it easier for you to order a copy of the document from the record office concerned, since you would have the document reference.

Good luck.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 December 05 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nell,

As you kindly suggested, I tried A2A site for a marriage "settlement" (or any record) for the couple, and sadly - no information.

Oh well, at least I tried.

Many thanks and happy hunting

Regards
Di