Author Topic: William Brownrigg, Co.Wicklow, born 1785  (Read 20000 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brownrigg, Elizabeth (Hopkins) of Co.Wicklow
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 July 22 06:17 BST (UK) »

What does 'according to Cantwell mean'?

The late Brian Cantwell went through all the known old graveyards of Wicklow and Wexford in the 1980s, and transcribed all the visible/readable memorial inscriptions pre-dating 1880 (which he found/noticed - he was not 100% inclusive)

That is very interesting.....thank you I had heard of Brian Cantwell but had not realised about his Opus.  Find my Past has it.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Brownrigg, Co.Wicklow, born 1785
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 July 22 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi annmikemcd, I replied to your private message. I didn’t realize that you had posted here as well. Sorry that our Beggs don’t seem to be connected. Good luck with your research.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 July 22 22:36 BST (UK) »
There is some misleading information here about postings of Peggy13. Each reply counts as one post and there could be up to 47 replies, back and forth, on one query which someone could miscontrue as 47 separate queries.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 July 22 14:36 BST (UK) »
That is correct.  The counter reflects the number of times you have both posted a new request & posted a reply.  The reply can be on any post - not just your own. 

Each reply counts as one post and there could be up to 47 replies, back and forth, on one query which someone could miscontrue as 47 separate queries.

It does not count replies by others on your posts - only your own replies

If you access your profile from the brown toolbar & then click on “Show Stats” or "Show Posts" you will be able to go back to the first post you made & then use that to count the number of actual new posts made since then - excluding the replies.  Your Stats count is showing you have raised 579 new topics

You will recall on my reply 11 on the post below I mentioned you had made 22 new posts since 1st June 2022

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=863840.msg7335695#msg7335695

I think the point being made in the replies to that post was that your high counter was made up from the extremely high number of individual posts made by yourself.

You will note my counter is almost 67,000 but in the 17yrs since I joined RC I doubt I have made a dozen requests for help.  The vast majority is replies to requests for help from others

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 July 22 18:33 BST (UK) »
Statistic can be misleading but "Each reply counts as one post and there could be up to 47 replies, back and forth, on one query which someone could miscontrue as 47 separate queries." doesn't take into account the various threads which contain more than one request for information.

As an experiment I looked at my posts- 292 topics that I started BUT
-76 were resources that I posted (mostly on resource boards and most of them have multiple resources in each post)
-10 were some sort of technical help/query
-101 were research for other people (my uncle's Danish relatives, an elderly friend's family tree that I've been helping with for over 30 years, another friend researching WWI soldiers, etc.)
-19 'other' which were misc. topics not for my own research
which leaves 84 threads for my own personal research but this is over the course of 16 years which means an average of 5.25 a year (a few of these were on the Photo board asking for dating or restoration)

For my own research I do purchase credits from GRONI & Scotland's People and take advantage of free resources, special offers and free searches on pay sites. I do not have subscriptions to Ancestry, Find My Past, etc. (these would be lovely to have but I manage without).

Absolutely nothing wrong with asking for help. There are times I've struggled to find information, have asked for help & people have generously taken the time to look further for me to either find the 'missing' information, point me in the right direction so I could continue or confirm the details were missing.

However, there is a clear pattern of constant requests and many times the information can be found with resources that are available to you and makes it seem as you want everyone else to find information immediately for you rather than spending more time doing what you should be perfectly able to do yourself.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!