Author Topic: Not much to go on!  (Read 2215 times)

Offline cally

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Not much to go on!
« on: Thursday 08 December 05 16:53 GMT (UK) »
My grt grt grt grandad was ( according to 1861 census onwards) born in Isle of Mann, approx 1829 name Robert Gale, not much to go on as I said, any one got 1841 census that might show him as I am begining to give up hope. :(
Goldsmith-Staffs, Gale, Houghton,Howard-Liverpool/lancs

Offline rcorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Not much to go on!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 December 05 02:31 GMT (UK) »
I can't help you with the 1841 census but if you post a query on the Manx Genealogy message board:
http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes
someone there will do a look-up for you.  Unfortunately with the 1841 census not giving any relationships it may be difficult to confirm parentage etc.

Also it seems strange that a baptism for Robert doesn't come up on the IGI - there is one for a Robert Gail in 1828 but this isn't him - this Robert Gail is in IOM in the 1851 census.  He may have been illegitimate and indexed under his mother's maiden name.

I would try also his marriage certificate to Tabitha (Hughes) - FreeBMD gives Jun 1851 Liverpool  20 159.  This should give you Robert's father's name and possibly where on IOM he was born which might help with IGI searching or confirming 1841 census results.

Hope that helps,
Ruth
Bouncing emails

England: Green, Povey, Bedford, Bridgland, Catlin, Patton
Scotland: Fraser, Kennedy, Kelly, Hean, Higgins
Isle of Man: Corris, Faragher, Corkill, Shimmin

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Not much to go on!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 06 19:57 GMT (UK) »
there is a 13 year old Robert Gale at Douglas .4. 33. entry 180 in the index - along with Ann age 35 & william age 2 - sorry don't have copy of actual page at hand.
any thing with a Manx Connection