Author Topic: JUDGE family, Ireland to Newfoundland  (Read 947 times)

Offline Ward Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
JUDGE family, Ireland to Newfoundland
« on: Friday 09 December 05 02:43 GMT (UK) »
JUDGE is a very rare surname in Newfoundland,so much so that almost every one I have been able to find there over the past 200 years is related to me. Therefore, if anyone knows of ANY person named JUDGE who moved from Ireland to Newfoundland  in early 1800's or before,then it's about 98% certain you just found my ancestor.Hope someone can help. (Most likely from area of Sligo,Mayo,Roscommon).Thanks. Ward.
Email address removed by moderator to prevent spam - please contact by personal message

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: JUDGE family, Ireland to Newfoundland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 December 05 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ward,

I know of a Judge family that was from Ireland and lived in Brantford, Ontario.  Did any of your Judge's go there?  I'll check my information and see what part they were from.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 December 05 18:42 GMT (UK) »
There are a few Judges from Ireland in this database.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-504-e.html

It contains various records related to the main quarantine station that was used for immigrants coming to Canada.  It was created by bringing together a bunch of different sources into one database, so make sure you read the help file so you know exactly what records you are looking at. 

Martha
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline Ward Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 December 05 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to people who contacted me to help. There is a problem I always find everwhere....immgrants to Newfoundland really meant that...to the country of Newfoundland, but I can never find that on the genealogy websites, only Canada. Some then say to select province,and then have only records for Canada anyway,none for Newfoundland. Canada records for,say 1790 or 1830,had  no lists of immigrants or  census reports,directories etc. for Newfoundland.Why would they? It would be like going to Germany to find the French data-base.  But I do wish  they would add in these records now , since Nfld. joined Canada in 1949.
   So sadly we need  records of emigrants from Ireland going to Newfoundland, nothing to do with the separate country of Canada. Thanks. Ward. (I do of course check out all these Canadian  sites, always hoping that one day....). Did some of  the Judges come to Nfld. briefly and then move on to Canada or USA ? Probably,but without a record for Nfld.,we can't know.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 December 05 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ward,

Nfld has always been a part of Canada for me, (I was born in the late 60's) so I never think of it not being a part of the Country.

A funny story is that my great-aunt was in the RCAF in WWII and on her papers she was listed as "Overseas Duty", however she was sent to Newfoundland.  She would laugh everytime she told that story.

I can see where you would get easily frustrated though!

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!