Author Topic: 1891 look up please  (Read 4449 times)

Offline GIBONEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1891 look up please
« on: Saturday 10 December 05 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to find George Fisher 32 on the 1891 to establish if he was still living in the Cambridge area. He is married to Jane 33 with Ellen 10 Flora 6 and Lizzie 4. I am trying to find my great grandmother Florence Eliza Fisher who later called  herself Flora. George in 1881 has a daughter Flora of the correct age, however in 1892 my Flora got married in London. I would like to find out if this family moved to London or if they stayed in Cambridge as it seems very young to move to London on your own and get married.
I feel that if Flora is still with them then it is not my person.
Thanks to anone that can help!
Jackie   

Offline YvonneR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 December 05 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie

To find your George in the 1891 census I had to look them up in the 1881 census using the info in your message and I believe that this is your George:

I have a copy of this info if required

Agnes

Hope this helps

Agnes
My family research
Sheridan - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA, Birmingham, England
Finnegan - Ireland, New York, USA
Gilmartin - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA
Cashal -  Ireland, New York, USA
Donnelly - Ireland
Reilly - Ireland

My husbands family research
Robinson - Birmingham, England
Turner - Birmingham, England
Beresford - Birmingham, England
Hall - Birmingham, England

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a marriage cert for Florence?  If not, that would be the best way to ascertain her father's name. 

Marriages Dec 1892 -  Fulham  1a 408
CHESHIRE, George
DRYBURGH, William Farey
FISHER    Florence Eliza       

Free BMD also has a likely record for her birth:

Births Sep 1866  -  North Witchford 3b 560
FISHER    Florence E       

The Flora b. c1874 on the 1881 census seems quite a lot younger than the Florence, wife of George Cheshire (b. c1866) on the 1901 census.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline GIBONEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Yes I do have a marriage cert. Her Father was George a labourer. She is stated as being 20 at time of marriage. At her death, I have that cert. as well, she was said to be 41 that was in 1915. I also have her on the 1901 and she is down as 34! I have no other concrete evidence and cannot find her birth.
There is a Florence Eliza that matches in Wimblington Cambridgeshire, but her Father is Howard, not George!
I have been stuck on this for years and can't get any further. I keep having a break and then returning to it hoping that I will come up with something.
Any Help would be very much appreciated!
Regards, Jackie

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 11:31 GMT (UK) »
OK - I think this is the birth for Flora Fisher (dau of George on 1881 census):

Births Sep 1874  -   Wisbeach 3b 594
FISHER    Flora       

That would seem to rule her out as your Florence Eliza, even if yours shortened her name to Flora at times.  :(

The ref. I gave you on my previous post is probably for the Florence Eliza dau of Howard, b. Wimblington, as North Witchford reg. district covers that area.  We can rule her out too.   :( :(

On the 1901 census, she says she was born in Cambridge, but there's no Florence/Flora/Florrie Fisher b. Cambridge on the censuses except one b. 1890ish...  :-\

It's possible that her father George died, mother remarried, and Florence is on censuses under step-father's name - that wasn't uncommon.  I can see far too many Florence E Somethings b. Cambridge 1865-75, but perhaps we can match one of the names to a Fisher marriage?  Have a look at the 1881 and see if anything grabs you - I'll give the 1871/1891 a go this afternoon if the kids keep quiet...

Rambler   8)

ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline GIBONEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Florence's Father was probably alive when she got married as he is not satated as deceased on the cert. where her husband's Father is.
Don't know if that helps.

Regards, Jackie

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Another good idea down the drain... :( 

I suppose George might have died before the marriage, even if it's not stated, but if husband's father is recorded as "deceased", I agree it seems less likely.

I'm running out of ideas fast!  Perhaps she wasn't born in Cambridge after all?  If only a family member was with them on the 1901 census!  Do you know if Florence had any brothers or sisters?

Grasping at straws...  :P

Rambler

Offline GIBONEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 December 05 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susie,
Have you had any luck with Florence?  It's a busy time isn't it, I haven't been able to do much on my research this last week.
Hope you have a great Christmas.
Best wishes, Jackie 

Offline GIBONEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 August 06 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Well, as you can see I put looking for Florence on the back burner for a while as I never seem to get any further on with my research!
I started my interest in my family tree with Florence about 6 years ago! I've now completed most other areas in the tree, but still am stuck on Florence!

There is a family tale that she was French, however with a name like Fisher and also that her place of birth on the 1901 is Cambridgeshire, I decided that this once again was one of those "family tales" that was untrue.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could come up with any suggestions, or if anyone can face looking up any info for me that would be fantastic!

Info I have:   
Marriage cert:
Florence Eliza Fisher 20/26? married George Cheshire 28 Dec 1892 Fulham
Father George Cheshire Labourer          Father George Cheshire (decd.) Bricklayer

Death cert. Flora Cheshire Died April 1915 aged 41

Census record 1901: 36 Star Rd, Fulham
George Cheshire 36 Bricklayer Born Fulham London
Florence Cheshire 34               Born Cambs Cambridge
George Cheshire 6 son            Born Fulham
Ceila Cheshire 4                       Born Fulham
Lily Cheshire 2                          Born Fulham

As you can see Florence Eliza has also used Flora and just Florence. This is all the information I have on my great grandmother and I would be extremely grateful if anyone can come up with any new info!!!!!!

Many thanks for reading!

Any help at all would be very much appreciated!