Author Topic: Cheshire Surname Research  (Read 138447 times)

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Cheshire Surname Research
« on: Thursday 08 January 04 20:23 GMT (UK) »
If you are researching families from Cheshire please state the Family and the area you are interested in.

This thread is now locked

Please write requests on the Cheshire County Board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,6.0.html
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Wagstaffe, Bell and Goodwin Macclesfield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 04 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for more information on John Wagstaffe who was a surgeon in Sutton, Macclesfield around 1825-1830.

He had a son in 1838 called Henry but I have been unable to find a birth or baptism record. In the 1841 and the 1851 census he is not living with his parents.

I had thought the John and his wife may have died but he attends Henry's Wedding in 1856 quite a mystery  ::)

I am also looking for a Silkman from Macclesfield Ralph Goodwin born 1775 who married Rebecca and had several children called Emma Henrietta, Ralph Samual, Horatio Robert and Henry Whitehead Collinson who I believe may have been an adopted son.

Last but not least Joseph Bell who married Jane and had a son called Robert Bell in 1827.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline Stuart

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Cheshire Surname Research
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 January 04 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Researching the PHETHEAN surname and is close derivatives (Phetheon, Phitheon, Phytheon etc) in Bowdon from about 1600 - 1780 and before that in Brereton and Warmingham 1500 - 1650.

Also researching the family history of the PHETHEAN families in Bolton and Farnworth, Lancs. from c 1720 - present day.

--------------------------------------------------------
Stuart Phethean
Hampshire,
UK

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 04 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Searching the CHALLINOR (Challenor) name from SHOCKLACK, Cheshire.

My GG Grandfather Richard Challinor was born 21 Mar 1830 Shocklack,  Married (1) Emma Hughes, (2) Jane Trow.

I am trying to find out who his parents were, his father could possibly James Challinor. ???
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 February 04 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Although I have the relevant Census data for my Ancestors from 1851 through to 1901 - I am still missing a lot of information from the first census that was of use to family historians; namely the 1841 as follows:

1841 Census for Macclesfield
1.   George SWARBROOK, Innkeeper and his wife Mary (possibly at the Rose Inn in Brasshouse Street.).  George should be 34 and Mary should be 35 in 1841. They also have a daughter named Sarah who would be 9 in 1841 - (Both George and Mary died before the 1851 Census.)
2.   Henry SWARBROOK, Publicans Servant on the 1851 Census at the Grove Inn aged 55.
3.   Mary SWARBROOKE should be 27 in 1841 – did not marry till 1845. Her parents Joseph and Hannah did not die until the mid 1850’s. Was married but still living at home in Macclesfield on the 1851 census.
4.   Samuel SWARBROOK should be 14 in 1841 possibly living in Windmill Yard or Square – parents were Samuel and Sarah.
5.   Thomas SWARBROOK should be 10 in 1841, brother to the above Samuel.
6.   Harriett SWARBROOKE should be 17 in 1841. Possibly living at home with her parents Samuel & Sarah as above.
7.   Samuel SWARBROOKE, Silk Worker or Grocer should be 43 in 1841. Married to Sarah in 1822 – Father of the above Harriett, Thomas and Samuel. Possibly in Windmill Square or Yard.
8.   John SWARBROOKE aged 86 at his death in 1843 (should be about 84 in 41) in Northwich

All the above in Red found for me by PeterBennett - Thankyou Peter 9.   Henry SWARBROOKE aged  67 at his death in January 1858 at Union Work House, Prestbury Road, Macclesfield – should be 50 in 41 Census.

1851 Census for Macclesfield  
1.   Harriett BRADLEY (nee SWARBROOKE) should be 27 in 1851 (she married in 1844). Possibly living at home assisting in her parents shop in Windmill Square.(Samuel & Sarah)
2.   Henry SWARBROOKE aged  67 at his death in January 1858 at Union Work House, Prestbury Road, Macclesfield – should be 60 in 51 Census.

Thanks

Chris in 1066Land
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline FindingAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 04 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello, ::)
   I am researching my LANGFORD , LLOYD  lines. I have a Thomas LANGFORD shoemaker b.circa 1787 in Cheshire died 1847 in Mollington, ( have his last will and testament),  his children all born in either Saughall and/or  Mollington. LLOYD not sure yet ???, but somewhere in Cheshire I have an Elizabeth LLOYD b.circa 1836ish, to a Thomas LLOYD a brewer, don't have her mother as yet.. Elizabeth LLOYD married John LANGFORD in 1855 in Chester. (Have marriage cert). LANGFORD families lived in the Gt.Saughall, Gt.Mollington areas,(early 1800's --1851),  and later in Ellesmere Port and Liverpool Lancashire.
   Cheers! C   :)
ANYON,BATES, BEDWELL, BENNETT, BONE, BULLOCK,  CAMPBELL,  CARMICHAEL, CARTER, CLARK, CONSTANTINE/SLATER, CLENDINNING, COVENTRY, CREIGHTON,  EASLIP, EDWARDS, ELIARD or ELIOT, FROST, GORINGE, HILL, HOLLOWAY, INGLEFIELD, INGRAM, JAMES, JEFFREY, JONES, JOHNSTON, KEECH, LANGFORD, LAWS, LAWS,  LLOYD, LONDON, MACKAY, MCKAY, MACKNESS, MARTIN, MILLINGTON, MOORE, MORISON, NEWMAN, O'DONNELL, ORPIN, PAINE, POOK, REECE, RICHARDS, ROBSON,  SMITH, SPROULE, STANDISH,STRANGEMORE, TRENCHARD, WHELAN, WILLIAMS

Offline Soltown

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 March 04 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching the Ashworth families of Hyde,Cheshire.

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 March 04 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

I am researching Rustidge/Rustage Family of Tabley, Cheshire.  Interested at moment in finding on early census, with their children, Michael  born 1792 Tabley and Fanny (nee Boond) b. 1795 Tabley,  Married in Rostherne 1819.

Catherine    :)

Offline stretchie

• RootsChat Member
  • FARMER'S - Birth of the Chemical Industry, Widnes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 April 04 18:55 BST (UK) »
My research is taking me to Norley, Kingsley, Frodsham and Runcorn.

CONNECTION TO THE CHALLONER FAMILY OF KINGSLEY.

The BELL family.
William, BELL b.1826c - NORLEY, son of John Bell.
Martha CHALLONER - FIRST WIFE
Ann ASHBROOK b.1842 - SECOND WIFE.

Annie b.1861
Thomas b.1863 *** had a butchers in RUNCORN.
Martha b.1866 *** Joseph CHALLONER *** Bertram MARSH (West Derby)
John b.1868
siblings with second wife, Ann Ashbrook;
George William b.1883 *** had a butchers in WIDNES
Elizabeth Selina b.1888

ANYONE WITH INFO ON THE BELL FAMILY FROM NORLEY?
stretchie.

=====================
Farmer - Widnes, Runcorn.<br />Temperley - Runcorn, Frodsham.<br />Bell - Kingsley, Frodsham.<br />Bamber - Wigan, Widnes.<br />Stretch - Cheshire.<br />Vickers - Chester.<br />Hogg - Berwick, Chester.<br />Anyone with any interest in my names, please get in touch.