Author Topic: Cheshire Surname Research  (Read 138446 times)

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re:Cheshire Surname Research
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 May 04 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi June
  You seem to have done very well up to now.
I think that what you are probably missing is some census details from 1841. I may be able to help with the Cheshire side assuming the Mulliner family had not moved to Shropshire by then, can you tell approx from the ages of the children when they moved.
It may take a while to search the census pages (not indexed)
but will get back to asap.

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline June Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 May 04 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for you reply, its very kind of you.
I have looked at the 1851 Census again and its as follows:-
William Mulliner-Son-18-Born Audlem
James       "      -Son-16-Born Audlem
Mary         "       -Daug-10-Born Mucklestone
Ann          "        -Daug- 8-Born Mucklestone
George     "        -Son    5 Born Mucklestone

Richard was born 1836/1837 but was not on the Census with them.
Its difficult because Mary appears to be the first child
to be born in Shropshire, but it depends on the date in 1841 she was born whether the family were in Shropshire or Cheshire.
Thanking you for your help
June

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 May 04 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi June
      May I suggest that you post a census lookup request for Richard in 1851/1861 in Cheshire/ on the main board,If you havn't already searched it.
     I have started to search the 1841 for the whole family (no luck as yet)but this won't help you find him in 1851.
     It is possible of course that he was missed of the census altogether.

let me know if you have any luck.

peterbennett  
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 May 04 07:46 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on the PLEAVIN family of Saighton, Chester circa 1800.
My ggg grandmother Mary PLEAVIN was born circa 1809 in Saighton (according to later census info that I have). I would dearly love to trace her baptism details and to find some information about her parents.

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Many thanks

Dorothy ::)
BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
CRANE; PLEAVIN; SUMNER;DUTTON Cheshire; HEWITT (Cheshire & Liverpool);
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
MCVEY; MELLOR in Liverpool PRICE(Denbighshire & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 May 04 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

I have found several Mary Pleavin's in and around Chester but only one born 1809.

source 0599896 IGI batch p009691

Mary Pleavin birth 29th Aug 1809
   ~       ~      baptised 22 April 1810 at Churton Heath Cheshire.
Father    Charles Pleavin
Mother     Ann Pleavin

In order to cross reference could you reply with details of the earliest census details you have for her,and or marriage details.
I can then search the family with more confidence.

Hopefully this will be your Mary but census ages cannot be trusted.

peterbennett

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 22 May 04 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Peter for that information.
The details I have for Mary PLEAVIN are as follows:-

Marriage to Thomas MILLER (MELLOR) 26 Jan 1834, St. Peter's church, Liverpool

1851 Liverpool census - Mary MELLOR, wife aged 42, born Saighton, Cheshire,

1881 census Liverpool census - Mary MELLOR, Head (now a widow) aged 73, born Saighton, Cheshire

1891 census, Liverpool Mary MELLOR, widow, living on own means, aged 83, born (Sughton?) Cheshire

On her daughter, Susan Ellen's  birth cert. in 1847 - Mary Mellor, formerly Plevin. Susan's father was Thomas Mellor.

Hope this might help.

Many thanks

Dorothy :)
BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 May 04 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

Have noticed that the marriage of Mary and Thomas was in Liverpool 1834, It would be an idea to search the 1841/51 Liverpool census for her parents, It seems unlikely to find that she moved there on her own.
       In the mean time I look through the Cheshire 1841,
it isn't indexed so may take awhile.

peterbennett

p.s I have just found your name spelt Pleyvin and the chaps son was Pleavin. !!!!!!!  

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 23 May 04 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice, Peter. I'll try the Liverpool census for her parents.  Pleavin is a fairly unusual name - it's hard to believe there are so many variations!!!

Kind Regards
Dorothy :)

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 May 04 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi June
          "Its difficult because Mary appears to be the first child
to be born in Shropshire, but it depends on the date in 1841 she was born whether the family were in Shropshire or Cheshire"

I have searched the BMD 1837.online and cannot find a birth for Mary in Shropshire (searched 1840-1843) the only birth that was interesting was a Mary Ann registered in Nantwich ref. xix 163 3rd quarter 1841 could this be her ?

I did find a marriage of William Mulliner and Mary Duckas 29/12/1824 at St. James the great parish church in Audlam,
in the Bertram Merral index of Cheshire marriages.

I searched the 1841 census Audlam/Bridgemere areas and did not find your William Mulliner family,there were several others which I will post if you want them.

It is very possible that Mary sen. went back to Audlem relatives when it was time to have Mary jun. It may be a good idea to buy the birth certificate.

peterbennett