Author Topic: Sunday School Medals?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Sunday School Medals?
« on: Sunday 11 December 05 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I have this photo (hopefully appearing below) in which all but one of the children are wearing some sort of medals. Would I be right in assuming that these would be Sunday School medals? They each have 2 apart from the lad without any  ::)

Unfortunately I only have a scanned image and the resolution isn't up to reading the medals - possibly I wouldn't have done any better with the original ....

I think the date must be around 1893? The little chap at the very front was born in May 1891.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday School Medals?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 05 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I suppose they could be to do with Sunday School, but what about the Band of Hope, the junior temperance movement?
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 05 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the idea - I never thought of them  ::)  Did they have medals? If it was them, I'm a bit puzzled as to why the next-to-youngest didn't have any....

Mind you, family rumour has it that the Dad (not present in the picture) had a drink problem, so I suppose that could fit.....

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 05 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Can't help with the medals but have to say, although I've only met you once, I can see a distinct resemblance between you and 'Mum' on the photograph.   Please tell me she is an ancestor of yours and not somebody else's!!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 December 05 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

Now that really does worry me - she looks SO straight-laced  ::)

Yes she is an ancestor of mine - my great grandmother, actually. She's on my father's side, and I'm so lucky to have seen the photo. My mother got rid of almost everything to do with that side of the family in the years since my father died.

I've always had a soft spot for my grandmother - I think that's the little girl on the left of the photo (and also in my profile) because, as a child I was always being told how horrible she was - and also how much I resembled her  ;D

I think it's only fair to rehabilitate her a little......

Angela