Author Topic: Wilkinson of Hull and Thorne Yorkshire.  (Read 2450 times)

Offline otters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wilkinson of Hull and Thorne Yorkshire.
« on: Sunday 11 December 05 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate for my Gt Gt Grandfather Richard Charles Wilkinson for 1846 when he was married in Hull. It states that his father was William and that he was of legal age. The only Richard Charles I can find in the IGI was born in Thorne 1823 with parents William and Sarah.

How can I find out if this the correct person and how do I go about finding his father William? I don't want to end up following the wrong line.

I don't know of any other children for William or where he would have been born. I was always under the assumption that they all came from Hull.

Can anyone help me please? ???
Aitchison Scotland, Hull. Burrows Hull. Gibson Hull. Locking Linc's, Hull. Remington,Rimmington York's. Wales, York's. Ward, Hull. Whiteley Linc's, Hull. Wilkinson Thorne, Hull. Yeaman York's.

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkinson of Hull and Thorne Yorkshire.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 05 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thorne isn't that far from Hull.  Have you tried a parent search on the IGI with William and Sarah?  There's always a chance that they had other children in Hull.  Have you got Richard on the 1851 census?  That would give his birthplace.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline otters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 05 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have had a look for William and Sarah but there a few marriages in Hull and I have no idea which one it would be. I have now found that Richard was in fact born in Thorne according to the 1861 census. On the 1851 census he was not at home, he was a shipwright. He continued to live in Hull after his marriage in 1846.
How can I find out which of the William and Sarahs are the right parents?
Aitchison Scotland, Hull. Burrows Hull. Gibson Hull. Locking Linc's, Hull. Remington,Rimmington York's. Wales, York's. Ward, Hull. Whiteley Linc's, Hull. Wilkinson Thorne, Hull. Yeaman York's.

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 05 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but you might have to admit defeat.  There are 9 baptisms for Wilkinsons in the same batch as Richard.  Have you looked for William and Sarah on the 1851? 
Ellington in Harwich.

Offline otters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 December 05 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help. I looked for Richard in the 1851 census but couldn't find him with his parents. I don't suppose you know where the baptism records would be held for 1823 for Thorne, maybe it would tell me Sarahs maiden name that could give me a better lead. I don't really know what information it would give as I have never had to do this before. I have been able to send for certificates before to get information.

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 December 05 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Even if you can find the original baptism records you're unlikely to find Sarah's maiden surname, or the IGI would have it.  I've seen baptism records from Hull, and they don't have the maiden name.  It's frustrating, I know, but it's common when you get back beyond civil registration.  All of us have dead ends like this.  Try GenesReunited - maybe some distant relative has already done the research.
Ellington in Harwich.

Offline otters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 December 05 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I have messages on most sites asking if anyone can help with this family including GenesReunited but have had no luck. Its the one family I really wanted to do and I have just hit this brick wall.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 December 05 20:21 GMT (UK) »
hello otters, there is a charles wilkinson, ch sep 1821 in sutton in holderness, yorkshire & the parents have the same spelling as your richard-----willm, could be another son, maybe williams father was charles, i live in thorne & i think the parish records are held at the doncaster archives, king edward rd balby .

moira
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline otters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help. I have just had a look at a site giving names from the IGI and have found quite a few people called Wilkinson born in Sutton in Holderness including the Charles that you mentioned. These names are ones that run in the family and quite a few have the parents William and Sarah. I now have to find the link between Thorne and Sutton in Holderness and Hull.
Again thank you for the information as to where I can find the Thorne records. I shall wait until we get some warmer weather and have a drive out there to have a look.
I appreciate your help. :)