Author Topic: Mackay and Brennan a couple who apparently swam to the colony  (Read 1668 times)

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mackay and Brennan a couple who apparently swam to the colony
« on: Monday 12 December 05 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to trace the arrival of Hugh Mackay (c 1809 to 1886) and Mary (Brennan) c 1820 to 1913.  They married in Athlone Westmeath in 1838 and migrated immediately to NSW.  Mary's death cert shows she was in NSW for 6 years and Qld for 66 years.

They are one of those couples who appear to have swum here because I can find no trace of them either in assisted or non-assisted immigration records in NSW. 

If anyone can help me trace them down I would be most appreciative.

Thanks all

Anne
Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mackay and Brennan a couple who apparently swam to the colony
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne

I don't have an answer for you, but I did have a giggle when I read your post. I have a few who paddled a canoe, or used a Star Trek transporter.
 >:(  >:( 

Have you looked at all the indexes held by State Records in NSW. There are many that are not online. I found one of mine (1836) in a microfilm of a set of card indexes, a copy of which was in the Qld State library..

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mackay and Brennan a couple who apparently swam to the colony
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for post.  I've generally been very lucky with finding how family came to the Colony, but this couple eludes me.

However, I have progressed further than I was earlier this year.  I have confirmation they came to NSW pre Qld, which of course makes sense given the status of Moreton Bay as a penal settlement and Brisbane being closed to free settlers. 

I was sent details in the Pre-Separation index for another line I am researching and I will check this for the Mackays.  The McGraths, this other family, ended with about 100 references in this index.  I wasn't aware of it as a source of information prior to this week.  I'll certainly go searching for the Mackays in it because they were in Qld pre-separation.

I know I need to take myself off and physically do the look ups in the Library.  I live in Canberra and the National Library is an ARK site, so need to take myself down there and do some serious research. 

If that doesn't work I plan to spend a few days in Sydney.  I want to go up there anyhow and see some distant family I've been lucky enough to make contact with.  So I'll just add a couple of pleasant days, or perhaps 3, searching the State Library and also out at Archives in Wn Sydney.

Once again thanks

Anne
Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)