Author Topic: Unlikely Nott marriage  (Read 1711 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Unlikely Nott marriage
« on: Tuesday 13 December 05 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find the surname of Sarah, of Twerton, Somerset, who married Joseph Nott, of Newton St Loe, Somerset in 1850.
The only likely marriage I can find on freeBMD is in Sep Qtr 1850 in Abergavenny where a Sarah Marsh is shown on the same page.
Would it be possible for someone to confirm this unlikely marriage without resorting yet again to buying the wrong certificate  ::)
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Unlikely Nott marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave
This may not be much help.
There was no Sarah Marsh  aged13/14 listed in Monmouthshire in 1841 . There was however a 14 year old Sarah Marsh living in Twerton with her family
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 17:19 GMT (UK) »
This could be the big break through Rhys.   I knew that a Sarah from Twerton married Joseph Nott from Newton St Loe.   Seems it was customary for the Newton men to marry Twerton girls and vice versa - good for the genes  :D   The Sarah I'm looking for was also born abt 1827 (from later census information).   
If this is she then it seems odd that they married in Abergavenny (Abergafenni).   Perhaps her family moved there after 1841.   Not unusual - one of her grandaughters (born Twerton - would you believe her mother born NSL, father Twerton) married a guy from Cold Ashton, S. Glos, and they went to live in Pentre, Glam early 1900s.
Could I trouble you to let me have a copy of the Marsh family in 1841 and then perhaps I could request a lookup in Abergafenni in 1851.   In 1851 Sarah was married and living in her in laws' house in Newton St Loe.   Could be the one.   Thanks in anticipation
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

In 41,51 and 61 the Marsh family were in Twerton

Twerton
HO107961/14 F 32 P6
ALL MARSH
All born in county
RAILROAD PLACE

John  40  M
Elizabeth 40
Thursen  6
Mary 8
Sarah 14

I do not know what the M means as an occupation
though there are several people with the same
designation on the neigbouring pages

Twerton
HO 107 1940 F190 P35
No address
John Marsh h m 56 cloth worker.  indecipherable
Elizabeth Marsh w m 57  Shepton Mallet
Thursea Marsh  u d 16  Twerton

In 1861 John was a 65 year old widower born Glastonbury
living in lodgings in Twerton  and working as an agricultural labourer.

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
  • Can't stop until I know everything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked on "1837online.com)"and Sarah Marsh did marry Joseph Nott at Abergavenny in September quarter 1850.

The reference is XXVI/42 (or maybe 62).
Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Rhys, so the Marsh family stayed in Twerton......................   I don't know what the M in the 1841 census signifies, perhaps Married but it's most unusual.

Many thanks also to denben for the confirmation of Sarah and Joseph's marriage in Abergavenny 1850.   It seems too much of a coincidence so I'll have a gamble and invest the money.

If it proves correct that line goes further back.

Cheers Dave