Author Topic: william ellis  (Read 1382 times)

Offline janet two

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
william ellis
« on: Tuesday 13 December 05 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi can anyone help please. I have got back to my 4x greatgrandfather with the help of census births deaths etc and I have now got very stuck. I know they were William Ellis and Mary Wainwright. I believe they were married at the age of 14/15 in Woolley parish of Wakefield.
I also believe William was baptized in 1804 and his parents may have been William Ellis and Amelia. How do i find for certain if this is so. I would also like to find who Amelia was, and more about William her husband. I have tried most internet sites but as I am now before 1837 it has become more difficult. regards Janet

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: william ellis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Janet

The help you need is in the Parish Records held at Wakefield Archives, book before you go and tell them your area of research, the staff are very helpful.
Wakefield F H S web site would be a good place to try but its of line for re-construction. They have left a contact address you could try a letter to it -

chairperson@wdfhs.co.uk

Regards Oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline janet two

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello OLY
Many thanks for your reply. I did find the Wakefield society website as I think you may already know. As I sent an email yesterday which I suspect may have come to you as chairperson.
I live in Lincoln so a visit to wakefield will have to be put off until after Christmas, but would you mind giving me a contact address or telephone number of the Archives. I am very grateful for your help and advice. thank you regards Janet

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 05 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Janet

No not guilty of being the chairperson, my chair is used for having a nod in after lunch nowadays.
The Wakefield Archives Web site address is -

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/index.asp?pg=ablocw2.html

All you need to know is accessed by clicking the headings, Family History, and, About us. on the opening page.
Have another try later to Wakefield F H S, I seem to remember they did a register search for a couple of £ or so.

Regards Oly
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline janet two

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 December 05 16:04 GMT (UK) »
hello again. I wish my chair was just for sleeping in. I don't have a minute to spare and I am supposed to be a lady of leisure.
however I have some good news. I am now almost certain that my William did marry Mary wainwright. I have some new found evidence on 1851 and 1861 census forms.
I have the marriage  certificate of William Ellis and Sarah Jackson my3xgreat grandparents and Susannah Ellis was a witness at that wedding. I believed William and Mary had at least 4 children Matthew, Maria Ann and William. The 1851 census gives Mary as head, Maria as daughter born is Chapel thorpe and Susannah born in New Miller daw I think dam so that at least has answered a question
I have also found Sussannah married in 1861 with Mary living with the family so guess I am on the right track thanks for your help regards Janet