Author Topic: Todds of Limavady  (Read 30200 times)

Offline kathken

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Todds of Limavady
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary

Thank you for that information, do you know anymore about them at all, I would be thankful for any information .

Regards
kathleen

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 June 10 00:12 BST (UK) »
please delete this message

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 May 11 05:51 BST (UK) »
At long last, the results from the DNA sample from a descendant of John Todd and Jane Purdey md 1855 Coleraine have come in.

It shows that this family is a unique family of Todds without close kin in Ireland.   Their origins in Scotland are not known, but the few samples we have from Scotland do not match.

The sample was 3 markers out of 25 different from the Todds of Central Antrim(Ballyalbanagh) but usually 3 marker difference out of 25 is enough to indicate no relationship in modern history.   There is a slight chance that the family IS related to the Todds of Central Antrim, but someone would have to find a second person from this family to test the DNA.

Richard

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Todd & Jane Purdey
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 October 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
HI folks,

We have found a baptismal record that shows that John Todd who married Jane Purdey was born in Tonduff, Cumber Lower, Co Londonderry.

So we have:
1.  John Todd md Isabella Mowbray
            2.  John Todd b 1833 Tonduff Cumber Lower Co Londonderry died   
                      1902 Dumbarton Scotland md 1855 Articlave Dunboe Parish   
                       to Jane Purdy 
                       3a. John Todd b 1858 d 1935 Thornliebank, Renfrewshire,
                              Scotland md 1879 Elizabeth Martin in Thornliebank
                       3b.  Hugh Todd b 1865 Articlave, Londonderry d  md
                              Catherine Hunter 1886

What is also interesting is that the DNA of a descendant of this family matches the DNA of a family that lived in Cumber Lower:

1aThomas Todd 1811-1886 Tonduff
1b Sister Sarah Jane Todd (possibly the Sarah Jane Todd 1817-1887)
1c Sister Isabella Todd (possibly the Isabella Todd 1820-1888)
1d Brother James Todd 1820s md Jane Craig
   2aSamuel Todd 1847-1890 Gortnaran md 1874 Isabella
                              Collingwood (descendants came                                       
                              to Toronto, Ontario
   2b Isabella Todd 1843/1848 md John McKinney
   2c Thomas Todd 1851
   2d Sarah Jane Todd 1849/1854/1858/1856

(not sure if John is a brother or a cousin)
             2e John Todd b prob 1840s d 1894 wife Margaret Nimmo
         Robert Todd b 1870
         Mary Todd b 1872 md MR. Curry

Equally interesintg is that there is a will that links the families of Gortnaran to Castslemellan:
NOTE:  The following will links the families of James Todd d 1890 md 1840 Eleanor Ballantyne of Carrickatain, the Thomas Todd of Castlemellon (possibly the son of James) and Thomas Todd of Tonduff (presumably the Thomas who died in 1886)

I William Alexander of Mount Castle in the County of Tyrone farmer hereby revoke all will and testamentary dispositions..to see my sister Martha Alexander cofortably cared for during her life and to us so much of my property as they may consider necessary for hat purpose and at her death I will and bequeath to Mrs. Jane McClerry widow of the late Robert Mc Cleery of Balee in the county of Tyrone and her children by him the sum of 800 pounds..to Mr. John Glenn of Gortilick 800 p  to Thomas Todd Castlemellon widow Sevenson Castelmellon widow Sarah Lowery Castlemellon Joseph Stgevenson of Moynagh James Todd of Carricktane, Thomas Glen of Carricka tane, John McConnll of Glengorley Major Keys near Claudy Isabeela McClay of Aidmore (sp?), James Throne of Tyrkerhaghan Thomas Todd of Tonduff John Stevenson of Cavenacreagh and James Lyons of Mountcastle 200 p each    I appoint James Lyons of Mountcastle and John Stevenson of Cavenacragh both in Tyrone my executors  12 Jun 1880

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Todds of tonduff
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 October 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
The Will of Isabella Todd late of Tonduff County Londonderry Spinster who died 18 July 1888 at same place was proved at Londonderry by James Irwin of Ballyarton said County Esquire one of the Executors.
Isabella Tod 1820-1888

I Isabella Todd of Tonduff parish of Cumber  to my nephew Samuel Todd of Gortnaran y famr subject to him paying my niece Sarah Jane Todd of Gortnaran 100 p, to my niece Isabella McKinney of Killaloo I leave my gold watch and whatever sundry I may die possessed of. To John McKinney of Killaoo my niece Isabella’s husband 200 p and the residue to be divided among my nephew and nieces.  I appoint James Irwin  of Ballyarton and George Kennedy of Kilaloo to be executors.
10 Jun 1888
(James Irwin, her executor, was also the executor on the will of Thomas Todd.

The Will of Thomas Todd late of Tonduff County Londonderry Farmer who died 23 March 1886 at same place was proved at Londonderry by James Irwin and Hugh M'Cullagh both of Ballyarton in said County Merchant the Executors.

I Thomas Todd Tonduff. To my sisters Sarah Jane and Isabella to the survivor of that money bequeathed me by William Alexander of Mount Castle..and all any other money to my sister Isabella Todd all my farm and chattels  I appoint James Irwin and HughMcCullagh Executors.

The Will of John Todd late of Tonduff Killaloo County Londonderry Gentleman who died 23 January 1894 at same place was proved at Londonderry by Robert Todd of 106 Fountain-hill Londonderry Factory Employeer and Margaret Nimmo of Tonduff Spinster the Executors.

I John Todd of Tonduff, Killaloo, Londonderry..140 p being the balance of the amount found due to me on ___ by Wm R. H. Todd __ Londonderry.. bequeath the said sum.. equally between my son Robert Todd, my daughter Mary Jane Curry otherwise Tod and my housekeeper Margaret Nimmo.  And I appoint my said Son Robert and Margaret executor of my will.

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
rmcmurty,

I have a little information on the Todd/McKinney family mentioned in the will.

My grandfather's brother, James Elliott of Londonderry, married Margaret McKinney, date unknown.
She was the daughter of John McKinney and Isobella Todd of Killaloo.

Margaret died in 1953 and is buried with James in Londonderry City Cemetery.

She was a JP and organiser of one of the Londonderry Feis [there used to be two i understand].
She was on the Londonderry Board of Guardians, she also carried out a lot of welfare work for the troops during the war.

In James and Margaret's grave there is buried Sgt John Todd, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, died of pnuemonia 5/1/1918.

John fought at Gallipoli and was with Sgt Somers when the latter won the Victoria Cross.
He is commemorated on Londonderry City War Memorial.

Also on the war memorial is James Todd, John's brother. He was killed at Gallipoli in 1915 and is named on the Helles memorial in Turkey.

In the 1901 census John& James are listed as grandchildren of Jon and Isobella McKinney and living in Killaloo. This is not correct.

The boys parents were Robert & Sarah Todd.
I am not sure of the actual relationship to john and Isobell. robert may be either brother or nephew to isobella.

Whatever the relationship he must have died about 1900. Sarah is not living with the two boys in the 1901 census as they are with the McKinneys'.

She is living in Belfast, boarding with a family named Johnston at 25 McCandless St, Shankill.
She is listed widow with a 7 month old daughter named Lilly.

In 1911 John& James are listed as back with their mother in Belfast, by which time she has re-married to William Hinton [ for 7 years] and has three children with him and the boys are listed as stepsons to him.

No sign of Lilly though.

Their address is 20 Summerhill St, Clifton.

Not sure how John ended back up in Londonderry, but he had been based at home for some time.

Rob

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 05:54 BST (UK) »
thanks,

I suppose at some point we should try to get the birth cert for John and James and then the marriage record for Robert and Sarah Todd.

Richard

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 April 12 00:32 BST (UK) »
There is some evidence that the Todds of Cumber Lower in western Londonderry of the 1800s were descended from the Todds of Banagher Parish some miles to the east of Cumber Lower.  The 1740 householders census showed Adam and John Todd in Banagher; the 1831 census showed an Adam Todd in both Banagher and Cumber Lower.  This could be coincidence but it could reflect kinship.

In any event, the Todds of Cumber Lower in the 1800s have been shown to be related to the Todds of Castlemellan and Carrickataine in Co Tyrone and to a branch that migrated from Cumber Lower to Articlave in Dunboe Parish in eastern Londonderry.    John Todd b 1833 Toneduff married in Articlave in 1855 to Jane Purdy and their descendants migrated to Thornliebank, Renfrewshire, Scotland and some migrated to New Zealand.   The James Todd who married Anna Craig had a son Samuel Craig Todd 1847-1890 whose descendants migrated to Ontario Canada.    Some of the Castlemellan Todds migrated to the town of Londonderry.

Based on post-1858 wills, it appears that the Todds of Tonduff Co . Cumber Lower Parish, County Londonderry and the Todds of Castlemellan/Carrickitain, County Tyrone share a common ancestor.  A William Alexander Mount Castle in Co Tyrone made bequests to both families in his 1880 will.

The family in Tonduff appears to consist of 4 siblings.  They seem to be kin of some sort to the James Todd who married 1840 to Eleanor Ballantyne who lived in Castlemellon, Co Tyrone.  This James would have been the right age to have been a cousin to the four siblings below.

Thomas Todd 1811-1886 Tonduff
Sister Sarah Jane Todd (possibly the Sarah Jane Todd 1817-1887)
Sister Isabella Todd (possibly the Isabella Todd 1820-1888)
Brother James Todd 1820s md Jane Craig
      Samuel Todd 1847-1890 Gortnaran md 1874 Isabella Collingwood (descendants came
                                               to Toronto, Ontario
      Isabella Todd 1843/1848 md John McKinney
         Margaret McKinney d 1953 md James Elliott
      Thomas Todd 1851
      Sarah Jane Todd 1849/1854/1858/1856
   (not sure if John is a brother or a cousin)
John Todd b prob 1840s d 1894 wife Margaret Nimmo
         Robert Todd b 1870 md Sarah LNU
            ?John Todd b 1896 d 1918
            ?James Todd b 1894 d 1915 Gallipoli
         Mary Todd b 1872 md MR. Curry

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:55 BST (UK) »
I have an interest in Todd-Kincaid connections.  In the 1831 census of Toneduff is your Thomas Todd and Adam Todd.  Also in this townland at the same time is the family of Elizabeth Kincade.

Of further interest is the William Kincade (c1795-1883) who came from a few miles outside of Londonderry to Adelaide township, Middlesex County, Ontario in the 1840s.  Also arriving in Adelaide township, about 1834, were Anthony Todd and his wife Isabella.  They were born about 1785.  Anthony dies and Isabella is living right beside William Kincade in the 1851 census and 1861 census.  It is unknown if Anthony and Isabella had any children.  Isabella is a suspected sister of William Kincade because he names one of his sons Anthony; a name not found among Kincaids prior to this.  There were only a couple of Kincaid families in County Londonderry in the 1830s.

Another Todd-Kincaid connection is Elizabeth Kinkead, sister of William Kinkead, chamberlain of Coleraine, who married Andrew Todd of Shane's Castle, County Antrim.  She died in 1750 at the age of 35.

I thought I'd note these tidbits in case they may someday prove useful in your research.
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.