Author Topic: Tracing Father and Uncle  (Read 4123 times)

Offline lsp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Father and Uncle
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am also interested in George Smith Badham, as we suspect that he is my wife's Father.
We have a copy of his birth certificate, but no direct link to George Thomson Badham married to Louisa Binney in Dec 1912 (My wife's Mother & Father) we have a copy of the marriage certificate. Do you know where George Smith Badham was living at the time of the 1901 or 1911 census' ? Was his brother known as 'Smith' or 'Badham' ?
Hope you can help.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 20:24 BST (UK) »
Have an Eleanor in my family, the only time she was called Eleanor was on her birth certificate.  On all censu returns, her marriage and death certificates she is known as Ellen.

Eleanor - Ellie. Nellie, Ell, Nell. Ellen, Helen and a myriad of other variatons (these are only the ones I have found in my family)

Gran: Mary Ellen, known as Nellie - but she spelt it Nelly and or Nellie.  Only found out her full name was Mary Ellen when looking at the 1901 Irish census.  No wonder I never found her birth under Ellen!!!!
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
1901 - 35 Ossulston Street, St Pancras

Eleanor SMITH head mar 38 (husband seaman crossed out) b.Hackney
George son 9 b.Soho
Charles H son 5 b.Wood Grn
Arthur son 4 b.St Pancras

RG13/145 folio 35 page 62

Arthur SMITH bp 18 May 1896 (born 1 May 1896) St Pancras son of George and Helena of 35 Ossulston Street, sailor.

Claris SMITH bp 1 Jun 1900 (born 30 May 1900) St Pancras parents George Thomas and Helena of 35 Ossulston Street, sailor.

Charles Henry SMITH bp Wood Green 8 Jul 1894 son of Helena and George Thomas of 2 Dagmar Terrace, Dagmar Road (seaman)

Casalguidi :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Rhoda SMITH dau of George and Helena of 35 Ossulston Street, Euston Road/children's hospital (sailor) bp 7 Jul 1899 (born 28 Mar) St George the Martyr, Queen's Square.  Rhoda was admitted to Gt Ormond Street see http://hharp.org/ (very sad) :(

******** George Thomas SMITH (born 12 May 1891) son of George Thomas and Helena of 17 Prince of Wales Crescent (sailor) baptised Haverstock Hill Holy Trinity 29 Nov 1903 the same day as Nellie born 24 Aug 1903 *******

Also Louisa (same details as above) bp 21 Nov 1903 Haverstock Hill Holy Trinity (born 21 Nov 1903)

A bit of an oddity there with Nellie born August 1903 and Louisa born November 1903 though ???

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 March 11 00:29 BST (UK) »
Isp, do you know when/where your George BADHAM died to see if there are any clues there to connect him to the one born 1891 (baptised 1903)?

Is there any address on the 1891 birth certificate and has this been checked in the 1891 census?

Offline lsp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 March 11 08:55 BST (UK) »
Caselguida,
Thanks for your interest - to answer your questions:-
George Badham (my wife's Father) died in St.Albans, Herts in 1980
The addess on the birth certificate for George Smith Badham was Moor Street, London, but he was born on the 12 May 1891, after the 1891 census was taken. There is no trace at that address in the 1901 census.
Regards,
lsp

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 March 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
Ok, so George BADHAM died 1980 St Albans registration district, Hertfordshire and his date of birth in the death indexes is given as 12 May 1891.  This ties in exactly with
George Thomas SMITH (born 12 May 1891) son of George Thomas and Helena of 17 Prince of Wales Crescent (sailor) baptised Haverstock Hill Holy Trinity 29 Nov 1903 the same day as Nellie born 24 Aug 1903
as given above and thus the family at 35 Ossulston Street, St Pancras in the 1901 census :)

Offline lsp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 March 11 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yet again, I am very impressed with your knowledge and aptitude.
Regards,
David

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 April 11 13:25 BST (UK) »
Firstly apologies for my lack of contact haven't done much research for some time as was out of action most of past year or so...

Found a reference in the 1891 to a Eleanor Badham Boarder in St Marylebone  - this Eleanor born Boston Lincolnshire in c 1852,

If I can help more do get in touch

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland